A Suggestion about INDe That'll Make Everyone Mad

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They should change the name on the logo to "Independent" rather than INDe. The drums are very impressive but I really dislike INDe on the logo. I like the name "Independent Drum Lab." Just not INDe. INDEPENDENT.

There, I said it.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s the initials of Josh’s mentor ... Norman Delp. N. D.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I personally disagree. I really, really like the name. And the logo. And the slogan (“Better drums by design”). It’s simple, not overly flashy, modern, and well thought out, just like the drums themselves.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yeah, count me in as an iNDE name fan man... Besides, I have an Independent Fabrications bike frame (awesome bike by the way) and everyone calls then IF's...

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Yeah, count me in as an iNDE name fan man... Besides, I have an Independent Fabrications bike frame (awesome bike by the way) and everyone calls then IF's...
Great frames!

I have an Independent Fabrication bike catalog from the 90's. I wanted one of their mountan bikes in a bad way but couldn't ever commit to which custom paint job I wanted and that phase eventually passed. But every once in a while I come across that old catalog in the garage and drool!

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always liked it as is..short, simple, easy to remember and say...all about marketing today, and, IMO, seems to check all the right marks.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They should change the name on the logo to "Independent" rather than INDe. The drums are very impressive but I really dislike INDe on the logo. I like the name "Independent Drum Lab." Just not INDe. INDEPENDENT.

There, I said it.
You have to have the correct font for the "e" or it just doesnt look right.
INDē.....like so

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also like the name and the logo is fantastic! Hopefully this doesn't spin off into how terrible a name "Mapex" is again. Thinking about it though, what's in a name right? I mean "Slingerland"?? :) Many of the manufacturer names are kind of ridiculous in one way or another. Except for Tama. Tama is one cool name. And Zildjian. But that's it. Tama and Zildjian. Well, maybe Ludwig too....

Sorry - too much coffee this morning!

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+SEVERAL Also like the name/logo as is. Now MAPEX? That's a different story.

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
Ha ha, you know, it's something I have thought about a bunch. When I came up with the idea for the company, the "Independent" name was actually inspired by the Independent Fabrication bikes (I am a huge bike nerd BTW), and Independent Skateboard trucks. I also left a bigger company and set out on my own, so Independent just fit. But then I tried to make a logo that looked good on a bass drum logo, or on a badge. Independent just has too many letters, and is tough to trademark. So that is what led to INDe- I can make an (arguably) good looking logo that is readable from a distance, and could be trademarked.
So now, I view Independent Drum Lab as the umbrella, and INDe as one of the brands (hinting at something coming soon :) )
Neal Pert- I really do appreciate your feedback, as well as everyone commenting. DFO is truly a place where many of the ideas for my business came from, and where I look regularly for inspiration and feedback. And if you are ever interested in some drums, I would glady print you one of the many "Independent" logos I designed for your bass drum head!vintage logo2.pngredblue 3.jpg

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with heartfelt, respectful opinions and constructive critism.
Any business owner, artist, amongst others should welcome thoughts on their endeavors.
Dont need to change a thing but it does help to hear and also listen (not the same thing).
I dont have the concern(s) Neil Pert has with INDe name/logo but I like the fact that he stuck neck out.
Bravo to him
and Bravo to INDe for giving an adult response.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
For all you folks with an inner Scandinavian struggling to get out .

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I knew my opinion would be unpopular, but I raised it because I've actually talked to two other drummers who said the same thing. If I've learned anything in my years of working, it's that people have really different opinions about things, and things that seem self-evidently awesome to me rub other people the wrong way. I'm glad to know that most of the guys here see it differently, to be honest.

All this to say: I love what you're doing and wish you nothing but success. At some point I'll be trying your stuff under any name, and I'll look forward to watching you bring more cool stuff to the market.

Ha ha, you know, it's something I have thought about a bunch. When I came up with the idea for the company, the "Independent" name was actually inspired by the Independent Fabrication bikes (I am a huge bike nerd BTW), and Independent Skateboard trucks. I also left a bigger company and set out on my own, so Independent just fit. But then I tried to make a logo that looked good on a bass drum logo, or on a badge. Independent just has too many letters, and is tough to trademark. So that is what led to INDe- I can make an (arguably) good looking logo that is readable from a distance, and could be trademarked.
So now, I view Independent Drum Lab as the umbrella, and INDe as one of the brands (hinting at something coming soon :) )
Neal Pert- I really do appreciate your feedback, as well as everyone commenting. DFO is truly a place where many of the ideas for my business came from, and where I look regularly for inspiration and feedback. And if you are ever interested in some drums, I would glady print you one of the many "Independent" logos I designed for your bass drum head!View attachment 407467View attachment 407468

Latest posts