A Suggestion about INDe That'll Make Everyone Mad

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, count me in as an iNDE name fan man... Besides, I have an Independent Fabrications bike frame (awesome bike by the way) and everyone calls then IF's...
Dan-my friend and first band mate Paul (this is middle school/high school) got into bike racing in college and when opened his brewery 5ish years ago... called it Independent Fermentations in honor of Fabrications and they're feeling that a good product should sell itself.

As for Inde...I like it...its innovative as are the products.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Ha ha, you know, it's something I have thought about a bunch. When I came up with the idea for the company, the "Independent" name was actually inspired by the Independent Fabrication bikes (I am a huge bike nerd BTW), and Independent Skateboard trucks. I also left a bigger company and set out on my own, so Independent just fit. But then I tried to make a logo that looked good on a bass drum logo, or on a badge. Independent just has too many letters, and is tough to trademark. So that is what led to INDe- I can make an (arguably) good looking logo that is readable from a distance, and could be trademarked.
So now, I view Independent Drum Lab as the umbrella, and INDe as one of the brands (hinting at something coming soon :) )
Neal Pert- I really do appreciate your feedback, as well as everyone commenting. DFO is truly a place where many of the ideas for my business came from, and where I look regularly for inspiration and feedback. And if you are ever interested in some drums, I would glady print you one of the many "Independent" logos I designed for your bass drum head!View attachment 407467View attachment 407468
Well, there you have it. The Declaration of INDe's Tenets...

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You know that no matter what you do, it will rub someone the wrong way. They are entitled to their opinion. But I’ll bet someone doesn’t like the shade of black used for the logo

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Neal Pert,
I think it's cool you put your neck out there. Neck stepping is quite common these days, but luckily yours managed to avoid too many footyprints. Good on ya.

Personally, I'd kiss Josh full on the lips (well ... maybe just the elbow) for all that he's done for drumming. Amazing engineer and an outstanding marketer. I've come across very few in the percussion industry that have business ears as big as Josh's. The man is tuned into the drummer ... big time.

I love the name and the logo.
That's not as easy as it would first appear.
Speaking as one that has developed several over the years ... it's freekin tough to pull off that balance of simplicity, recognition, acceptance, retention, and design.
Freekin tough.
Josh did an amazing job on his. I love it.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Maybe he had an omelet for breakfast and got confused

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a designer by trade and have to say that the INDe logo is part of what drew me in. I love it and seems to really portray the clean direct style of Josh's designs. The INDe lugs are pretty much my favorite design ever. I keep trying to put my dream set out of my head, Jenkins Martin natural fiber glass shells with Josh's lugs, in a 26, 12, 16 configuration. Two problems, JM doesn't have a 26" bass drum and I would need to sell my 24, 10,12,14,16 Ayotte's to afford it.

Anyway always interesting to hear others take on design.

Craig

Johnny K

Reaction score
Nice shirt! I have one and it dont fit. Fortunatley the green IF socks still do. My IF jershey and shorts went to town long ago. I still have them. They are old enough to be Freshman in college. So is my no longer un-ridable 1998 CJ. About a year after this picture the seat tube rusted away from the bottom bracket. The seat tube is the only one they dont seal with JP Wiegle's Frame Saver. all the other tubes are sealed shut. The Dura Ace Seat post cold welded it self into the seat tube and capilliary action from water over 10 years rusted the tube at the bracket from the inside out. I would love to have another one, but I'd rather have a set of Gretsch USA customs more.
DSC_4695.JPG

Latest posts