A Tip of the Hat to Mr. Aldridge

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
or weren't born yesterday..

How does he do that (I know by hand) but almost looks like...Has he developed new technique
and he freaking removed the badge?.. geez
Figure one error and he owns the drum but it looks (and I guess is) perfect

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
or weren't born yesterday..

How does he do that (I know by hand) but almost looks like...Has he developed new technique
and he freaking removed the badge?.. geez
Figure one error and he owns the drum but it looks (and I guess is) perfect
here's a nice interview with John courtesy of Bart VanderZee

a a short video of John doing his craft -

Reactions: JDA

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
John engraved a LBB for me very early in his engraving career, maybe mid to late 80s. I cherish it and really think it is cool as it is not perfect but that is why I like it. To this day I have a really bad taste in my mouth because Ludwig sent that Triumphal model over to Europe some where to be built and engraved instead of having John do it. If that offends anybody I don’t care.

afwdrums

Reaction score
To this day I have a really bad taste in my mouth because Ludwig sent that Triumphal model over to Europe some where to be built and engraved instead of having John do it. If that offends anybody I don’t care.
if I'm not mistaken, Ludwig had Adrian Kirchler fabricate the Triumphal's, like the whole drum from scratch, not just the engraving...no offense to John Aldridge who is an absolute master engraver, but I suspect completely fabricating the Triumphal's from raw metal is well beyond his skillset...this is likely why Ludwig chose to go with AK...not sure how anyone can be upset about anything Adrian (or John for that matter) touches, but that's just me

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preaching to the choir here when you give kudos to John . John is one of my favourite people and I try and get out to dinner with him when we go to the Chicago Show .

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And back to celebrating the OP’s drum.

The 8 lug format creates a nice large canvas for engraving. Beautiful drum!!!

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And back to celebrating the OP’s drum.

The 8 lug format creates a nice large canvas for engraving. Beautiful drum!!!
Thanks! John did a super job extending the pattern to fill the spaces on 8 lug drum.

I have had the attached framed photo from a Toronto Symphony Orchestra calendar of 1981 for 40 years...always wanted a replica of that pattern, which, it turns out as verified by Mike Curroto and John Aldridge, Ludwig only offered in 1929. And that's what John engraved for me on this current BB.

So I'm guessing the engraving on the snare in the framed photo here was maybe original? In which case I may have an approximate date for the drum from the poster. Can't tell if the shell was "gold" or that was the lighting used for the photo, but that sure must have been a sweet drum. Sorry for the glare.

And yes, for 40 years I've had company at our home ask (when there was no pandemic, anyway) "what is that a photo of?"

IMG_5264.JPG
IMG_5267.JPG

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! John did a super job extending the pattern to fill the spaces on 8 lug drum.

I have had the attached framed photo from a Toronto Symphony Orchestra calendar of 1981 for 40 years...always wanted a replica of that pattern, which, it turns out as verified by Mike Curroto and John Aldridge, Ludwig only offered in 1929. And that's what John engraved for me on this current BB.

So I'm guessing the engraving on the snare in the framed photo here was maybe original? In which case I may have an approximate date for the drum from the poster. Can't tell if the shell was "gold" or that was the lighting used for the photo, but that sure must have been a sweet drum. Sorry for the glare.

And yes, for 40 years I've had company at our home ask (when there was no pandemic, anyway) "what is that a photo of?"

View attachment 493337 View attachment 493338
My kind of art! Super cool to see such a beautiful snare pictured/illustrated in a Symphony calendar. I wonder if the knob was for a wire system or an added tone control. Here is another example of the Ludwig & Ludwig 1929 DeLuxe 10 point floral pattern you speak of. I understand a few variations exist and recall reading that the pattern detail continued to change over time.

Attachments