A Very Lucky Saturday - Trans Badge Ludwig Find

andlours

Reaction score
Is that a keeper?
I'm not sure if it's a "forever kit" but I'll definitely keep it for a long time. The fact that jet black pearl is a less common wrap for the year and is really classy, the less common sizes, and that the drums were all born together and are in nice shape makes this a bit of a holy grail kit for me.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very nice; I think you will enjoy it.

Assuming the floor tom is 14x14 it appears the bass is 16x20; bet it has a nice sound. Is the Supra a Metal or Lud-A-Loy snare? Their both nice; I love my Lud-A-Loy. Not long ago I cleaned a nice snare for a friend that belonged to his late brother. The year of manufacture escapes my brain at the moment but the drum was heavy and had a scrape inside indicating that it was metal and had a great sound. I tried to buy it but the family want sell; understandable.

sherm

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Trans-Badges; what is it that makes them so collectable and higher in price?
Simply supply and demand - Trans badge ludwigs represent that era when William F Ludwig Sr bought the rights to his own name and the Ludwig Drum Co back from CG Conn et al, when Leedy&Ludwig finally broke apart. This occurred ~ 1955, but the Trans badge kits generally were offered from 57/58 to 1960, thereabouts. There's just not that many out there. They also represent the pre-Ringo binge quality control era for Ludwig drums, just like pre-serial keystone badge kits do.

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
Simply supply and demand - Trans badge ludwigs represent that era when William F Ludwig Sr bought the rights to his own name and the Ludwig Drum Co back from CG Conn et al, when Leedy&Ludwig finally broke apart. This occurred ~ 1955, but the Trans badge kits generally were offered from 57/58 to 1960, thereabouts. There's just not that many out there. They also represent the pre-Ringo binge quality control era for Ludwig drums, just like pre-serial keystone badge kits do.
Thanks for the insight.

andlours

Reaction score
I'll snap some pictures of the snare shell tonight. It has a few scratches, but overall it looks really nice.

andlours

Reaction score
All you guys are correct. The snare and all hoops are COB. The bass is a 14"x20" as well. The tims are natural mahogany interior and the bass is natural maple interior. Here's the snare shell after being cleaned.

20190610_204426.jpg

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All you guys are correct. The snare and all hoops are COB. The bass is a 14"x20" as well. The tims are natural mahogany interior and the bass is natural maple interior. Here's the snare shell after being cleaned.

View attachment 399896
Interiors similar to the 1959 trans badge blue sparkle collector quality kit I found two years ago - snare and toms with clear mahogany interiors, 14x22 bass was clear maple.