A Very Lucky Saturday - Trans Badge Ludwig Find

andlours

Reaction score
Can you post pics of the inside of the drums please....this is amazing!
I'll try to snap some here in the next couple of days. They're exceptionally clean all around and all have red date stamps from October of '59.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
This is such a cool drumset. It's got so many things right, not the least of which is that snare. I'm lobbying for leaving the bass hoops as is; I think it adds a lot to the appearance. IAC, i'm happy for you; a tremendous score.....marko

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
andlours,

That's a beautiful kit and you did an ace of a job cleaning it up.
Congrats on your latest grab. -b

Elvis

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats on such an amazing find. How do the edges look? I'll assume the snare edges are find, just wondering about the other drums.

andlours

Reaction score
Congrats on such an amazing find. How do the edges look? I'll assume the snare edges are find, just wondering about the other drums.
They're actually really good. They dont have any damage from being handled carelessly or abused. There is some wood dehydration at the scarf joint on a few drums, but nothing that would negatively affect the sound.

Jazz Drummer

Reaction score
Nice find, congratualtions. This is a good a drums can be, COB rims etc.. If you have trouble with scratches on the veneer, try "Polywatch", actually a product to polish watch crystals. Always test in an area normally not visible so see whether there is a chemical reaction with the veneer and clean well with water when you are done. Unless scratches are very deep you can polish them out.

Ottomatic

Reaction score
I just picked this downbeat kit up from the 2nd owner who bought it in the late 60s. He knew what he had, but wanted to sell it quickly and let it go for just about half of the going price of only the snare. I don't know of I'll ever find another deal this good...View attachment 399471
I know I'm very late to this party... I can't speak for 1959 But, My 1962 Downbeat set had a special snare drum. I replaced it ( stupidly ) with a SupraSonic. Fast forward 57 years and I'm back using a 4" x 14" wooden snare drum again. I don't know when it became ridiculously expensive to purchase a downbeat snare drum. Before I bought the snare I have, I looked for a downbeat snare... I was shocked at the prices! They do sound unique. I loved my Ludwig drums and as a kid, I got to tour the Ludwig Plant. It was awesome! The tour was lead by W.F. Ludwig Jr. Later his father joined us and it was unbelievable! Thank You WFL & Ludwig, it was a spark that lit a fire for a lifetime...

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, those are some beautiful drums. Perfect sizes for club dates !!!!

I have a hodge podge Ludwig thin shell / re--ring kit from slightly later manufacture with similar sizes but with additional 10" tom. They always get positive comments and sing !

Congrats, and enjoy the heck out of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Latest posts