A vintage Zildjian - with a "zillion" die stamps - one for Zenstat

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If this one is out there, must be others. Too many stamps to count. Dozens of them in all orientations....and at least 2 different sized fonts. And I count 5 properly oriented stamps on the back side too. A die trial cymbal? Or a guy in the factory having some fun? Pretty cool. Without precisely measuring the stamps, I'd say it's both large and small stamps all mixed up. The 50's small stamp is very clear in some places. The larger stamp is very fine and weakly impressed....like a 70's small stamp....no 3 dots either....and on at least one of them no "MADE IN USA." Some others have that bottom line. I'm not very familiar with a no 3 dot 50's large stamp - it doesn't quite look like that. Only seen ones with 3 dots. There is the "H over E" and "C over N" letter alignment on the larger Font.

Franken Die.

zildjian with a zillion stamps.jpg

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The back side. Looks like a hi hat bottom. Note the creases on the bell. I found at least one crack on the top of the bell area. Took some hits along the way, from a stick or equipment. Stamps are along the top portion from 12:00 to 3:00.

zildjian with zillion die stamps.jpg

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Should have that cleaned by a local shop or something; we could use as a party joke spoiler/ when Paul Francis comes around ; ))

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow that Soo cool. Thanks for sharing. Is that yours?
What's the size and weight?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've been following online cymbal research & perusing all manner of cymbal content on the web for 2 decades and have never seen nor heard of anything like that before now. THAT is a first.
Wild !

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
you get the old Zildjian polish- if you can find it- that would ruin every cloth piece of clothing permanently in it's immediate area- and buff. I wish I could find that old polish don't see it anymore probably toxic I liked it

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been following online cymbal research & perusing all manner of cymbal content on the web for 2 decades and have never seen nor heard of anything like that before now. THAT is a first.
Wild !
Same here. A very special promo or salesman sample perhaps. Zen’s Prolly still asleep or just waking up is about 6 am in his hemi sphere. And where’s Cliff when all this excitement is going on?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So it goes on the bottom- so no one will see it- clever ; )
If you wanted to play it, that's the only safe place to keep the bell crack from getting worse. On the heavy side for a crash. Could be a small ride though. Better place is on the mantle piece.

Zenstat asked for better photos so he could analyze details. Those were sent.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would be cool if you'd share some better pics here too!
Zenstat wanted the same photos....but before the Forum Imager "massages" them into smaller sizes. All I can recommend is copying one of the above photos, and then enlarging it on your own computer....rather than viewing it here. I can enlarge them to about 3X with a windows photo viewer, which makes all the difference.

Last edited:

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been waiting to hear what Zenstat has to say. Maybe a test, checking for the die impressing adjustment? I could imagine one of the lathers keeping it as a memento. It would be great to have it cleaned up with clear pictures. That would tell us many things as to timeline, etc.

Tama CW, if you ever wanted to pass it on someday for someone else, it should to be in Steve's hands til the grave. :)

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What an amazing piece of history! I imagine it could have been a training piece for newly hired die-strikers.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad someone here got it. Well done Rock Roll. I was holding my bid back on that cymbal so as not to alert anyone....lol. And then I was preoccupied the morning it was going off and got to it about an hour too late. I'd have bid it up a bit higher than it sold for. Not too many people noticed that "sleeper" cymbal. But once you save the auction photos and blew it up all those stamps came to life. I saw double or triple stamps on the regular photos and it got my interest up.