A vintage Zildjian - with a "zillion" die stamps - one for Zenstat

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I'm enjoying this thread, written by knowledgeable people who were suddenly surprised one day to discover they hadn't yet seen it all, and who were keen to investigate the provenance and mysteries of something that had stayed hidden so long. I'm delighting in imagining the tales this cymbal could tell of how (and why!) so many young craftsmen (perhaps those who grew to make our own cymbals) returned to apprentice on this cymbal again and again, branding it with the marks of the ages, during one of the most legendary eras of a storied company, only to see it escape somehow to the world outside and become the only one known to do so.

However, I'm also enjoying the purity of a view held by someone who seems completely innocent of considering the value of a musical instrument beyond the purpose for which it was created in the first place. "But is it musical?"

I come from a long line of collectors, and my house is almost like a museum. Nearly every piece around me tells a story about my family who have come before me, going back generations, and I'm proud that I'm the one in the family who is custodian of these pieces and their stories for now. That cymbal would look awesome in my music room, and congratulations to its new owner! That said, the uncluttered approach of someone who doesn't at all engage with "things" beyond their beauty for how they perform is incredibly refreshing and inspiring to me, and I have much respect for that.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
An amazing example of Turkish/American History from one of the oldest and most respected cymbal companies in the world.

Most of us here can appreciate the significance of the rare multi stamp cymbal as it is, especially we musicians and true cymbalholics who understand its intrinsic and historic value , part of the overall A Zildjian story.

Let me know when your ready to sell it!

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow- so my 13” L1 hi- hats are that rare? Cool!

I came across this one in my files while doing a reorganization. A pair of 15" hats. One cymbal was stamped on the bottom not the top. You can see the pressing deformation oval and ghost image of the stamp on the top. If that isn't rare enough, this is also a mid 50s Large Stamp L1 (aka block stamp). These are quite rare on smaller cymbals...as in I know of about 4-5 pairs of 14" hats with a Large Stamp and one other pair of 15" hats in addition to this oddity. No splashes to be seen although they certainly exist from earlier and later in the timeline.

View attachment 410884

View attachment 410887

View attachment 410886

After that the size distribution goes

16" 2
17" 7
18" 28
19" 7
20" 49
21" 18
22" 134
23" 5
24" 28
26" 12
28" 1

based on my data as at today. Here is an older analysis (lower numbers) which shows what I mention below in terms of relative excesses and deficits.

View attachment 410883

This distribution shows the usual pattern of fewer odd diameters (17,19,21,23) compared to even (18,20,22,24). But the larger number of 22" compared to 20" is different from some other eras. There is a discussion about that in another thread but in a more recent context (post 2000). There is a relative excess of 22" and larger sizes. Big diameters were popular in the mid 1950s. Fashions change. :dontknow: