A. Zildjian Experts - Help with cymbal dates

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I decided to get a couple of old cymbals out for my recently "reacquired" Duplex Spirit of St. Louis kit.
One of the cymbals is one that I got with drums back when my uncle gave them to me in 1978 or 79. They had been in cases since the mid-60's, since he developed a medical disorder and could no longer play. I was born in 65 and remember the drums / cymbals in cases at my grandparents' home from the time I can remember, so 68 or 69.
So, date-wise, the newest in would be is 1960's, but they bought these for my uncle in the late 40's / early 50's (unfortunately, no one still alive to validate), and I remember my dad saying the cymbals came with the set. I do know that they were used when he got them, I distinctly remember that. But that doesn't mean he didn't "update" the cymbals at some point.
So, on with the pictures.
Picture #1 is the stamp on the 18" medium thin crash that I still have from when given to me. Picture #2 is the stamp on the 18" heavy, probably a ride or symphonic cymbal, that I bought in a pawn shop in Midtown St. Louis (Sam Light Loans) back in 1988 or so.
I hoping some of the vintage Zildjian experts will be able to help me pinpoint the age of these cymbals. Unfortunately, the 20" ride and the 13" hi-hats were stolen by somebody at the old recording studio my friend ran. We used it as our practice space also, and I stored my gear there. And there was a very thin 14" crash or splash that I cracked way back when learning to play.

Picture #1:
1642302129389.jpeg

Picture #2:
1642302507209.jpeg

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Rob,
Please take a look at these without the tape measure.
This one is the original, thinner cymbal:
1642307254568.jpeg

And this one is from the heavier cymbal I got in a pawn shop many moons ago.
1642307299031.jpeg

SKSMITH

Reaction score
70's stamp on the first one. Me tired eyes cannot make out the bottom cymbal. Looks like a late 50's small stamp but I cannot see a couple of the indicators.

Mike
Thanks Mike.
That would be the opposite of what I was expecting since the cymbal in pic #1 came with the set my uncle gave me, and he hadn't played since the mid-60's. The one from the pawn shop in pic #2 I thought would be 70's or 80's, but they all look similar to me! LOL!!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I concur with 70's on the 1st one.

The 2nd cymbal is a 50's SSB small stamp based on the centering of "AVEDIS" between the script and next line below.
You can sort of make out the vertical letter alignment of the last 2 lines - but it's "shaky."

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I concur with 70's on the 1st one.

The 2nd cymbal is a 50's SSB small stamp based on the centering of "AVEDIS" between the script and next line below.
You can sort of make out the vertical letter alignment of the last 2 lines - but it's "shaky."
OK, I got them bass akwards!
the 2nd picture is the one that I got in the late 70's that had been packed away for 15 or so years and the 1st picture is the pawn shop cymbal.
That makes much more sense to me know.
Thanks guys.