AAX Studio Crash TOO thing?

BoxMonster13

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have been considering new cymbals to add to my set and I went to Guitar Center a few days ago and tested some out. I really liked the Sabian AAX Studio Crash (the one I liked the most was a 17") and I listened to others in that line and really liked the sound. I'm worried about cracking though. They are listed as a "Thin" cymbal on the Sabian website and I read a review online that said this dude's cymbal had cracked after a couple years. I've heard that as long as you don't hit super hard you will never have cracking but is that true for thin cymbals. Even better advice would be from someone who owns this cymbal. Does anyone know about this cymbal or thin cymbals in general. Would it be a good purchase? I don't want a cymbal that will break quickly. Thanks.

NeedForSpeed

Reaction score
As long as you treat the cymbal with care you should be fine. All of my crashes are fairly "thin" and I've never had any problems. I've been in situations where I have hit the crap out of them but they are still strong. Good care and good cymbal technique is the trick. Your cymbals should be slightly angled so that you can sweep across them. Thin cymbals are also said to have more give in them and require less force so they are not harmed. I also don't think that the Studio crash is as thin as you think it is.
Purchase the Studio Crash and be happy :)

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thin crashes don't need a lot of smack to make them speak. As long as you hit them properly, and not with your stick at 90 degrees to the edge with all your muscle, they should last just fine.

fireguy

Reaction score
I have a few AAX Studio crashes and I love them. I am not a heavy hitter though. As above, treat them fairly and they will perform great.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
All advice above is good ... angle of attack and power of attack are major factors. But if you are still concerned I would suggest that you invest in some Aquarian cymbal springs. If you get carried away and smack that puppy a little bit harder than you normally would then the spring will allow the cymbal to take the hit and respond without damage. Just don't rely on it to try to get a larger response from the cymbal. It's a protection device not a volume knob that lets you go to 11!! :)

Robb

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
I played studio crashes for 5 years and had no probs, i play as we all do at varying volumes..
I fell in love with the AAX Xplosion crashes and now play a 17" with an HHX Xplosion and HHX evolution..
Sabian makes great stuff :)