Abe Laboriel Jr.'s set-up

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I met him once in Burbank and he really is a very nice guy. I never understood why he did not have a matching kit but hey.............they are his drums not mine.

Do you think his gig with Paul pays pretty well?

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love Abe!
I feel he is the drummer I relate to most.
I know what you mean, he's got the mojo.

It occurred to me, looking at clips of him.... putting the bass drum over to the left solves another "placement" issue: the ride cymbal was usually cantilevered really far over the bass drum on a boom. Now it can be a lot more stably-positioned for crashing... if you get what I mean. Smart.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I know what you mean, he's got the mojo.

It occurred to me, looking at clips of him.... putting the bass drum over to the left solves another "placement" issue: the ride cymbal was usually cantilevered really far over the bass drum on a boom. Now it can be a lot more stably-positioned for crashing... if you get what I mean. Smart.
Frees up the floor tom a bit too...

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Speaking of non traditonal/unusual...anyone use a split setup...half the toms on the left, half on right?
- I did for a while; center mount high hat too. It required more hardware and time to set up and didn't really make me more creative. That's less a function of what gear I have than of how I perceive and react to things, I think.

pH12

Reaction score
Saw Abe play with Clapton/Winwood in '09. It was cool to see him support a different artist's legacy sound with kit config., more toms, etc...

Latest posts