AC/DC Drummer Chris Slade stopped by to check out my Drum Room

LasVegasDrumRoom

Reaction score
Chris Slade lives in the UK and was in town for a little Vegas vacation. He had heard about my drum room from a mutual friend and asked if he could come by and check it out. Three hours of fantastic conversation and stories followed. Here is a picture of him playing my Rogers Mardi Gras kit. As a young man in the 1960s, he would ride a double decker bus to work, always sitting on the top level. He did this because there was a music store along the way which had a Rogers Margi Gras behind the display window. He looked forward to seeing the kit every time he went to work. Today, he finally got to play a kit just like the one in the music store.

LauraCai

Reaction score
Very cool. Would have liked to hear some of his stories. I am sure he was happy that he finally got to play the kit he wanted long ago.

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Excellent! That must have been a fun hang.

And welcome to the forum!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice, cool visit! So tell more about your drum room, the others may be familiar but I'm not up to speed and it looks cool in the pic!

LasVegasDrumRoom

Reaction score
Early last year, I began construction of a drum room in my backyard, from the ground up. 1320 sq/ft concrete foundation with a 14 foot ceiling. There is the main area where I store/display snares and 4 kits. I also built a separate small room where I keep spare parts, storage shelving and a workbench to restore vintage drums. Also in the room is a display of vintage drum company banners (Rogers, Buddy Rich, Bellson, Sonor, Trixon, Gretsch, the hard to find Cobham, and others). About 25 kits, 75 snares, cymbals and a host of other odds and ends.

Although I do not work in construction, I was the general contractor (owner/builder). I did all the prime and paint for the ceiling and walls, installed the solid bamboo flooring, painted/installed the baseboards (7 1/4" tall), all trim work, installed fixtures and also painted the exterior stucco. A ton of work, but I'd do it again. What a learning process it was.

I am currently developing a personal website to highlight the build and also my collection, with links to YouTube videos, etc.

I had drums in every room of my house and needed a space to keep everything in one place. Originally, the room was going to be smaller, but my wife suggested I make the drum room bigger, so I did what I was told.

I have attached a few pictures of the work in progress just to give an idea of the layout and color scheme. More to come.....

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool story/room. How did he hear about this?

Blisco

Reaction score
Awesome space but I have to ask, isn't it an acoustical nightmare? I don't see any room treatments. Or, is it for display only?

LasVegasDrumRoom

Reaction score
Blisco: Acoustical nightmare? Yes, yes it is. The main purpose of the room is to display, store and also play the drums, teach my kids, a place to hang, etc. I am just now starting to place things in their final, or semi-final places. I still need to build some shelves (better yet, long tables) to stack most of the kits I have on the ground. Once all the banners, posters, etc. are in place, I will begin adding acoustical treatments. None of this happens overnight with a job, kids, family, homework, etc., etc.

DaveinVA: Hi Dave, you and I spoke about 4-5 years ago. I remember seeing pictures of your amazing drum room. In fact, seeing your room is what began the thought process for my room. I recall all the great bass pedals hanging on your wall, your awesome Trixon banner and all the Camco delicacies.

JCCabinets: I have a friend here in Las Vegas who was the drum tech on and off for Foreigner, Asia and also AC/DC, among others. Although he still does drum tech work, he has a business making drum jewelry out of cracked cymbals. His name is Brett Miller and I met him one day to give him a stack of cracked/busted cymbals which is how the relationship started. He contacted me a few days and said that Chris Slade was going to be in town and they wanted to swing by and check out the drum room.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Killa' room... It's the stuff of most drummers dreams I would think :headbang:

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, just Wow, that is a fantastic space. That room is more than TWICE the size of our first apartment, and we had a child at that point!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Now this is what I call an introduction thread! I just noticed it after several days, so sorry for the late welcome. That is a great story and pictures for sure. Actually, I suggest that you post a separate introduction thread (with more drum pictures, of course) so more forum members can take notice and give you a proper welcome. It's great to have you here!

Reaction score
Cool room and you have an enviable amount of space!

I believe we met at the Hollywood show - I was appreciating your Tama Bell Brass snares - I'm the guy with the 5" old bell finish one.