Acetone warning!

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also don't try it on brand new remo coated ambassador heads either. I barely applied any pressure and very little acetone and the freaking coating came off like sand from a beach!
20200702_144153.jpg

You are welcome

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fyi. The other day i used acetone to remove aquarian logo on a texture coated head and it came off like butter. Just perfect.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acetone is rough on heads. Best chemical I've found to remove anything (like adhesive on a bass drum head from a kick pad) and for cleaning heads in general is lighter fluid. Works like a charm, wont eat through the head and leaves them like new. I've never tried it on textured heads though, only clear.
Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 3.15.22 PM.png

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a product that I have read about that supposed to work on coated heads I think it's an Ink pad eraser or something...I've never actually looked for it.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, not to derail but the best cymbal cleaner/polish I've ever used is regular $5 cream Turtle Wax. Works like magic! Doesn't ruin logos and makes the cymbals look brand new. Here in Central Florida the air/humidity turns the cymbals brown really quickly. One quick pass of the turtle wax takes it right off and back to it's factory finish. I usually do it about once every couple of months. I first tried that Groove juice stuff and the smell would make me want to puke and it burns right through anything. Not good!

ThomasL

Reaction score
Here in Central Florida the air/humidity turns the cymbals brown really quickly.
You could found a travel agency that sells cymbal patina holidays in Central Florida to cymbalholics. Well, maybe not the best time right now...

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
By the way, not to derail but the best cymbal cleaner/polish I've ever used is regular $5 cream Turtle Wax. Works like magic! Doesn't ruin logos and makes the cymbals look brand new. Here in Central Florida the air/humidity turns the cymbals brown really quickly. One quick pass of the turtle wax takes it right off and back to it's factory finish. I usually do it about once every couple of months. I first tried that Groove juice stuff and the smell would make me want to puke and it burns right through anything. Not good!
I'm not looking to brighten up beautifully patina'd cymbals, but, I would like to clean off stick marks. Turtle Wax?

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Goo Gone is great, but often eats some plastics. Ronsonol Lighter fluid is relatively weak as a solvent. I use Nevr Dull on cymbals, & I don't worry overmuch about logos--they didn't have those until about 1978.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to brighten up beautifully patina'd cymbals, but, I would like to clean off stick marks. Turtle Wax?
Don't know since I frequently have used the wax. It actually prevents stick marks (or any other marks) so I've never let it get to that point. It forms a nice protective, non sticky layer on the cymbal. Try it out and let us know.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could found a travel agency that sells cymbal patina holidays in Central Florida to cymbalholics. Well, maybe not the best time right now...
For those that love it, Florida is Patina heaven! I run my A/C in the house at 70 nonstop all day and night and it still happens.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Acetone will also eat vintage drum wrap. That used to be the way they said to seal the overlap seam, brush it with acetone and the two layers will melt into each other. I used that method once back in the late 1980s...it did work.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to see your electric bill.
I hate seeing it too, Lol!
That's living in Florida!
Either you pay it or you boil!
When fall and winter come around, the usage is less. The AC stays at 70 but you don't hear it turn on as often.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
My friend has them on his RYC bebop kit top and bottom and they really warm them up.

Im going with them on batter and clear ambassador on bottom for now.