Acetone warning!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Will any of these methods work well on a smooth ebony head? I’ve been concerned that Goo Gone or similar might remove the gloss too.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it's the fiberskyn style heads that are the problem?

freeflydawn

Reaction score
Acetone melts plastic- its how they chemically "weld" acrylic drum seams and it's used in the mixture to make guitar bindings with plastic

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool, I'll try it. Do you put it on, wait a bit, and then buff, or do you buff it off almost immediately?
I evenly apply it with a clean cloth, I leave it for a minute then remove it with another clean cloth. Then I use a third clean cloth to finely buff it. Easy & quick! This stuff is more like a cream and not like the paste stuff that gets hard if you leave it on to long.
I use microfiber cloths by the way!
That's a great price on Amazon. I'm gonna order a couple. (I'm running out) I usually would get them at Walmart for a little more than $5. I just checked them and they don't even have it.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Acetone is a very effective solvent. I'd be very careful using it on anything plastic - and keep it off your skin and out of your lungs.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do head logo's cheese you guys out? They never bothered me.

Now kittens on the other hand...

greatgs52

Reaction score
Methyl Hydrate works great at removing logos from smooth Remo heads. I've used it on a lot of bass drum resonant heads. The logo comes off cleanly with just a little elbow grease.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. Especially on front BD heads with the drum brand logo on it. If Evans or Remo started making heads with no logo, I'd switch immediately and even pay more for the heads.

I wouldn't mind if it was a tiny text along the edge of the head (like, 15pt "Remo USA Coated Ambassador"), but the logos are too big and ugly.

Do head logo's cheese you guys out? They never bothered me.

Now kittens on the other hand...

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. Especially on front BD heads with the drum brand logo on it. If Evans or Remo started making heads with no logo, I'd switch immediately and even pay more for the heads.

I wouldn't mind if it was a tiny text along the edge of the head (like, 15pt "Remo USA Coated Ambassador"), but the logos are too big and ugly.
Interesting how everyone likes different things. I've never heard anyone not like the drum brand on the front. When I got my Ludwig's and said I'd change the factory heads, everyone said to not remove the reso head because the Ludwig logo looked good. I would never remove it because I agree that it looks classic. The bigger it is, the more I like it!

FlowTom

Reaction score
Naphtha is a good alternative to lighter fluid (and Coleman camping fuel). It flashes off fast, allowing for good control when you're padding or wiping it on. It's getting harder to find in some states though.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
The coating material they spray on the heads is a type of paint. Acetone is a pretty strong solvent that will remove most paint. Remove the logo with acetone and 99/100 times the coating will easily come off too. Not good.
Smooth heads have no coating, the acetone will remove the logo ink with no trouble, and I've never seen it damage the head. It's mylar film, which 'usually' is resistant to acetone. I've cleaned dozens of smooth heads, vintage or newer, with acetone and never had a problem.
The calfskin type heads like Fibreskin do not have a coating, as far as I know. The texture is actually molded into the head. Not sure what the acetone would do on those. I would try it on a small spot on the head, near the hoop, using a q-tip.

pgm554

Reaction score
I used plain Windex one time on an Evans head and the results were not good.
It stripped all the coating.
1.jpg

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Acetone can be used to remove the logo from coated head also. BUT you have to be fast and careful. I did it many times with no damage to coating or head.
I soak slightly cotton pad with acetone (from pharmacy, not hardware store) and then touch logo and try to wipe it but every time I do it - I immediately WIPE the acetone out from the head and repeat the process with next clean pad. Basically you leave the acetone for seconds. Then it’s good to wipe the removed logo area with damp cloth or paper towel and then dry with another cloth.
You need approx 4-5 rounds to wipe the logo completely.
The method does not work on fiberskyn type heads.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Acetone can be used to remove the logo from coated head also. BUT you have to be fast and careful. I did it many times with no damage to coating or head.
I soak slightly cotton pad with acetone (from pharmacy, not hardware store) and then touch logo and try to wipe it but every time I do it - I immediately WIPE the acetone out from the head and repeat the process with next clean pad. Basically you leave the acetone for seconds. Then it’s good to wipe the removed logo area with damp cloth or paper towel and then dry with another cloth.
You need approx 4-5 rounds to wipe the logo completely.
The method does not work on fiberskyn type heads.
Yeah. I think i scrubbed too hard on the first try. Basically sanded off the coating.