Achieving "Click Grip" or "Click Technique" on the Ride Cymbal

paulwells73

Reaction score
Interesting.....the sticks look similar. I wonder if anyone uses their own signature model? I remember having a Chad Smith sig. snare and I thought that was so cool that it was his own model, until I found out he did NOT use that one!!! I ended up selling it as it did not work for jazz but was a killer rock/funk/RHCP music snare.
I think most drummers with signature sticks DO use them, at least most of the time. I know John Riley uses his stick for everything he does. Steve Gadd certainly uses his stick all the time. Plenty of other examples.

LeedyGuy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This reminds me playing claves. You have to create a cavity in your hand to get resonance and let the clave resonate. Big cavity=big sound.

Can't wait to try this today on my new Bluebird ride...

nolibos

Reaction score
I just found this yesterday and it kinda blew my mind. I started practicing it this morning. The biggest problem is I don't like the "old" , pre click grip, sound of my ride anymore.
Anymore insights, tips, usage, for this technique?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just found this yesterday and it kinda blew my mind. I started practicing it this morning. The biggest problem is I don't like the "old" , pre click grip, sound of my ride anymore.
Anymore insights, tips, usage, for this technique?
I don't really use it regularly, but it's nice to know it works. Great for more definition from washy or non-metallic sounding cymbals, especially when unmic'ed.
However, it's a slightly edgier sound than I like most of the time. I often like to play with a very loose, open hand.

I could never really get the click to work!
Maybe your fingers aren't really close to each other when doing the cup thing?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I finally got it yesterday! Thank you for the original video, it really helped!

The empty, closed space between the stick and fingers is surely the key. Also fingers need to close this space efficiently, so the sound don't escape toos soon. So keep the fingers together, and watch the gap between the thumb and 1st finger.
I also noticed that I lost the click if I tried to play my palm up, even thought my hand was otherwise in the exact same position. Maybe the stick needs to hit the bone at end of the fingers to get the click and if you turn the palm up, you lose that.

My fingernails need cleaning, it seems. :p

Attachments

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also noticed that I lost the click if I tried to play my palm up, even thought my hand was otherwise in the exact same position.
That's true! Could be that the vibration moves along the plane of the stroke/vertically and the cavity needs to be below/ that amplitude, not sideways. Think vibraphone resonators. Crazy complicated if you start to think about it.

nolibos

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture of your grip. That is about what mine looks like. Now I am trying to get it up to speed.

Latest posts