Acknowledgement

OldSticks

Reaction score
I'm brand new here. I realized all of you guys and girls allowed me to share with an incredible group of skilled and knowledgeable drummers. I've never been in this wonderful place. You folks don't owe me anything, but you let me IN. Yesterday I had the opportunity to kick around many outstanding aspects about a chunk of bronze I've had for 40 years, but don't know how to use. The first point: I called it a chunk of brass. I've probably never been speaking to a group that would even KNOW that, to correct me. Sincere thanks, truly. We talked about many paths to consider, relevant to my issue (a very heavy ride), all good and valuable. Thanx. I didn't know there were independent cymbal smiths (I doubt I can afford one today, but I don't even know THAT). I learned from 1949 Zildjian catalogs. What an incredible resource I can access by just asking a question of the group! I've learned that I may receive so much advice that I won't have time to thank everybody, wow (and I apologize in advance. I have to get a little sleep! If I don't thank you, it's not that I don't care, I'm a very slow typist). I'd never heard of Fredy Studer. That reference alone made my night. I may say "you guys", though I'm sure there are women in your ranks that will make my experience infinitely more valuable. Something about "I can see farther because I'm standing on the shoulders of those before me....". Last, maybe most importantly, "the list". I jumped right in to a comment about the list. I didn't show any respect for the list, like it was just a list of names. I reflect that the list is an incredible labor of blood, sweat, tears, knowledge and experience. I doubt there's another list anythinglike this one. I realized that in a week or 2, I've looked up drummers I thought I knew about, but didn't, and tremendous drummers I've never heard of. I feel a bit like I walked into a really nice place, sat in the middle, put my feet on the table, and told everybody ("out loud") what I thought This is way too nice a place to act that way! Seafroggys' response was measured, respectful, and appropriate. HE didn't't say I was a bit of a turd and a jerk....upon reflection, I'M saying I was a bit of turd and a jerk. Already (in a week or 2 on DF) I've come to really respect and appreciate what a great group of people you are, and I frankly need your help (there was no internet and no forums when I started). I hope I can kinda "start over", and nobody said I need to, but I do. Both of us stand to gain more from this relationship if I listen more than I speak. I'll have opinions and sarcastic quips, but I'm going to spectate more, to get to know the members and the forum better. I owe all of you that. This is an apology, but even more, it's an acknowledgement that I'm among a fantastic group of experts and people. If you'll let me (I think you might) I want to hang with you, to share all I can, to be a better drummer. I think that's why we're all here. I'm soon to lose my wife of 25 years and best friend for 35. I'm not trolling for sympathy. Life goes on. But playing drums has always challenged me and put a smile on my face. I'll need that, and I imagine more challenge and more smiles, earning a spot with all of you. I'm a retired physical therapist. I hope to present some aspects of my somewhat informed approach to increasing ambidexterity, if there's interest. Much love (an outdated expression I'll sincerely repeat), JM

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part, everyone on DFO is welcoming and collectively, anyone here can board their own ship and trek across a planet's worth of drum knowledge. Each little morsel is a journey. On occasion, much bigger trips are to be made all at once.

I find it refreshing to welcome a person such as yourself who arrives with a conscientious empathy and gratefulness for what is offered here while offering your own gifts that I'm sure we'll be grateful to learn from.

Welcome aboard!

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree! I absolutely love spending time on here. It‘s awesome learning from other‘s personal experiences and older drummer’s knowledge. The lack of ego and negativity on here is very refreshing! Nobody tries tearing each other down on here and there is no jealousy. DFO makes the Pearl Forum look like a bunch of jerks. Obviously this forum is also 1000x better than any social media platform too.

From the bottom of my heart to everybody on here...

I LOVE YOU and wish everybody here the best in life!

dyland

Reaction score
I haven't been posting here very long but the community has been very welcoming and informative. There's no sense of superiority like I've experienced on other boards. We're all drum geeks and the vigilant moderation keeps everybody in check.

So, welcome! Stay a while.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s always nice to have a new member arrive without the attitude and expectations.
I genuinely welcome you and appreciate your openness and sincerity.
It hits the mark.
Some of these drummers are outstanding members here ... they will do everything in their power to help you.
We share information, advice, prayers, sticks, and pics ... and lots of other stuff.
For the most part ... a good buncha drummers and very cool to communicate with.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s always nice to have a new member arrive without the attitude and expectations.
I genuinely welcome you and appreciate your openness and sincerity.
It hits the mark.
Some of these drummers are outstanding members here ... they will do everything in their power to help you.
We share information, advice, prayers, sticks, and pics ... and lots of other stuff.
For the most part ... a good buncha drummers and very cool to communicate with.
@Old Sticks then there are guys like me who are intentional (or unintended) attempts at comic relief. I do know a thing or ten about drums.

Glad to have you along.

@Mcjnic is good, kind people. He speaks for the kinder, gentler side.

And you had BETTER believe I want you to share injury prevention IF you’re willing to share. I am old and infirm.

OldSticks

Reaction score
@Old Sticks then there are guys like me who are intentional (or unintended) attempts at comic relief. I do know a thing or ten about drums.

Glad to have you along.

@Mcjnic is good, kind people. He speaks for the kinder, gentler side.

And you had BETTER believe I want you to share injury prevention IF you’re willing to share. I am old and infirm.
Arm, shoulder, and hand injuries?

OldSticks

Reaction score
For the most part, everyone on DFO is welcoming and collectively, anyone here can board their own ship and trek across a planet's worth of drum knowledge. Each little morsel is a journey. On occasion, much bigger trips are to be made all at once.

I find it refreshing to welcome a person such as yourself who arrives with a conscientious empathy and gratefulness for what is offered here while offering your own gifts that I'm sure we'll be grateful to learn from.

Welcome aboard!
Beam me up, Cauldroics and DFO!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club!
I always look forward to new "positive" members. Your post seems very genuine and I believe that you will enjoy your time here.