Acoustic foam - any good experiences

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is one factor in the "foam vs. home-made w/rockwool or fiberglass" debate that hasn't been discussed: Time. My time is worth a great deal to me, and buying and installing quality acoustic foam takes MUCH less of my time than would constructing my own absorber panels. That's why I use foam.

Remember: If you spend money you can always earn more; once you spend time you can never get it back.
That's a great point, but I have seen acoustic panels made from rockwool or OC 703 on my local craigslist a bunch of times, usually sold by either a bedroom recording studio type/musician, or occasionally by a small company trying to make a run at business.

There are about 5 ads for used and new panels on my local craigslist now. If you live in or near enough to a big city, panels aren't that hard to find. One other thing is that many of us have more time than ever to build them right now.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great point, but I have seen acoustic panels made from rockwool or OC 703 on my local craigslist a bunch of times, usually sold by either a bedroom recording studio type/musician, or occasionally by a small company trying to make a run at business.

There are about 5 ads for used and new panels on my local craigslist now. If you live in or near enough to a big city, panels aren't that hard to find. One other thing is that many of us have more time than ever to build them right now.
Well, when you get to be my age (68) you come to realize that you'll never have enough time to do everything you want to before it's all over, so whenever I'm presented with the opportunity to trade money for time, I do it. That's why I don't do my own gardening, my own home repairs, my own car maintenance and many other necessary tasks that can all be done more inexpensively by myself. But I'd much rather have that time than the money.

I do like your idea about getting used panels — that's the best of both worlds!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good morning! I've been doing something a little bit more "vibey" to rooms that need a little softening up. Here's a pic of my office at the school where I'm the "Artist in Residency"....cheap rugs that I can take when I leave...good luck to you!

Cheers and blessings, Trey

View attachment 481521
Trey,
Good Morning! I was wondering how you hang up those rugs. I had the same idea for a room in my house that I don't want to build out, but I am stumped for ideas on how to hang them. Please share.