Acoustic paint interior

John2050

Reaction score
Hi, I’m extremely hard of hearing, wear hearing aids.

Im searching for a way to quiet down my maple snare…I’ve tried different heads, tuning, foam pieces inside, extra headflipped and underneath snare, muffle rings, etc, etc.
Using Evans hydraulics at the moment, which does help.
mainly the higher pitch sounds that get me.
It’s still maxing at 105db, and on average around 95db. Playing lightly or hard.

My question is, I’ve seen lots of players coating the inside of the snare shell, but looks like that can add to overall volume, but what if I used “acoustic paint”?
Supposed to be used on ceilings to absorb sound (not sound proofing a room).

Would that work to quiet it down a bit? I wear 3M earmuffs over my muted hearing aids, but still worry the snare will make it worse.

*Its fine if it doesn’t sound amazing. Just looking to lower the decibels while still getting decent snare sound.

Last edited:

John2050

Reaction score
Hi, I’m extremely hard of hearing, wear hearing aids.

Im searching for a way to quiet down my maple snare…I’ve tried different heads, tuning, foam pieces inside, extra headflipped and underneath snare, muffle rings, etc, etc.
Using Evans hydraulics at the moment, which does help.
mainly the higher sounds that get me.
It’s still maxing at 105db on average around 95db. Playing lightly or hard.

My question is, I’ve seen lots of players coating the inside of the snare shell, but looks like that can add to overall volume, but what if I used “acoustic paint”?
Supposed to be used on ceilings to absorb sound (not sound proofing a room).

Would that work to quiet it down a bit? I wear 3M earmuffs over my muted hearing aids, but still worry the snare will make it worse.

*Its fine if it doesn’t sound amazing. Just looking to lower the decibels while still getting decent snare sound.
And please no mesh heads! Just want to know of acoustic type paint will help

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about paint but you might try a length of foam sheet around the inside of the shell first. At least it's not irreversible if it doesn't pan out. And welcome aboard!

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you’re referring to something like a popcorn ceiling treatment on the inside of your drum its unlikely to stay affixed to the shell with the vibration of playing. It would also still let the heads vibrate freely so may not do much to make the drum quieter. You could try stretching thin fabric under the entire head to severely muffle the drum. Thin bedsheet or a bandana would be my first try

John2050

Reaction score
Not sure about paint but you might try a length of foam sheet around the inside of the shell first. At least it's not irreversible if it doesn't pan out. And welcome aboard!
Yeah just thought of that too, maybe the really thin foam sheeting used for cars

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
a very deep wood shell.. snare drum will
Im searching for a way to quiet down my maple snare…
6.5 or deeper..
mainly the higher pitch sounds that get me.
the shallower is going to be more "in your face"

3P with rings if you can find one.
brass hoops. built around 1950

it might "the dimension" that's getting to you.
Also Maple sticks and lighten up on your touch; use Power only when necessary)

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A more porous/softer wood than maple would also reduce the high end and brightness. Mahogany, etc. But I understand you gotta work with what you got.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Perhaps try placing some silky light fabric or cloth placed loosely inside the drum... such as a Sheer sarong, or a girlfriend's nylon pntyhose.
Anything heavier than silk would make unwanted noise or would Muffle the drum too much.

A thin sheet of cloth styrofoam might also help... save some of that styro from shipping and use it as a wall liner inside the drum.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always try an upside-down drumhead to give you more of a fat sound which will have less attack, or spend money on one of those big fat rings. Also, you can put a couple pieces of paper on the snare.