Acro Prices

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just counted roughly 70 ish non reissue ones on reverb alone. That shows they are everywhere I’m sure there is just as many on eBay and many other selling sites. I’m sure some are cross posted.

Last edited:

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey if I saw what the crazy prices these are selling for I’d sell too! Just bought a Pearl Aluminum 6.5 Sensitone for far less money so I’m good!

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey if I saw what the crazy prices these are selling for I’d sell too! Just bought a Pearl Aluminum 6.5 Sensitone for far less money so I’m good!
With as many floating around you would think they would be 100$ or less. It blows my mind.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. there are the drop gate style and those shown on my drum without the drop gate(similar to steel style hoops) The chrome is deeper and smoother looking on the Cob hoops than on its steel counterparts. The brass hoops ring like a bell
My '65 Acro also has top/bottom brass hoops. Take the hoops off, hold 1 hoop up in the air with a finger and use the other hand to hit the hoop with a stick...you'll hear a pure church bell that rings forever. Such a great sounding snare.
20210106_172022.jpg

5stroke

Reaction score
Highest I’ve seen yet for a relatively run of the mill 5x14. Of course he’s dreaming.
Here's another "modest" offer for a 1970 Acro, just price dropped by $600-- yours now for the reasonable price of only $1,399 plus $49 shipping. Of course, you'd have to be a little in love with obtaining a 14 x 6.5 "NY Board of Education" version (does that make a difference in the sound?). I've listened to a ton of Acro videos, comparing all eras and haven't discerned much of a difference between the time periods. Who besides the drummer would even notice the ever so subtle differences between a 60s or a 70s or 80 Acro- even within the same time period? Hmmm.... Certainly entertaining to see these ads pop up and down.:unsure:

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's another "modest" offer for a 1970 Acro, just price dropped by $600-- yours now for the reasonable price of only $1,399 plus $49 shipping. Of course, you'd have to be a little in love with obtaining a 14 x 6.5 "NY Board of Education" version (does that make a difference in the sound?). I've listened to a ton of Acro videos, comparing all eras and haven't discerned much of a difference between the time periods. Who besides the drummer would even notice the ever so subtle differences between a 60s or a 70s or 80 Acro- even within the same time period? Hmmm.... Certainly entertaining to see these ads pop up and down.:unsure:
The NY BOE means it’s an original 6.5” drum, not the reissue that came out in 2013 or whatever. There’s not many of them, they’re bloody rare, and they’ve been damn expensive for some time now.

I’ve got the reissue 6.5”. Great drum, love it, especially now I’ve got an Inde strainer on it. Bit of a different drum to the regular acro with 1.5” more shell depth and 2 extra lugs.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
The NY BOE means it’s an original 6.5” drum, not the reissue that came out in 2013 or whatever. There’s not many of them, they’re bloody rare, and they’ve been damn expensive for some time now.

I’ve got the reissue 6.5”. Great drum, love it, especially now I’ve got an Inde strainer on it. Bit of a different drum to the regular acro with 1.5” more shell depth and 2 extra lugs.
Those are darn nice sounding drums.

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
Bought a 1976 B/O about 5 years ago for $100 for my son's kit. Found a super clean 1968 almost 2 years ago for $265 that I keep on my kit. Love them both!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t get the complaints about the costs of Acrolites.

Yes, I know some have gotten great deals over the years and yesterday. It’s not 1999. Aunt Estelle can now go on the internet and price things for this weekend’s garage sale. Good for her.

I love my old 1969 Acro. It’s worth $250-$275 to me because it’s vintage, in great shape, and sounds fantastic. I have used it and continue to use it in every setting: gig, rehearsal, and recording.

I just now, January 14, 2022, did a search for new aluminum snares that have a beaded shell like the Acro:

Sensitone Heritage: $329

Tama SLP Classic Dry: $369

Yamaha Recording Custom $519

Q Drum Gentleman’s $699

Add tax and shipping to each. I know some of you are going to say But, dude, Recording Customs and Qs are way above an Acro….
Okay. You might be correct, and we thank you for stimulating the economy. I’m sticking with my Craiglist Acro.

Love it. Worth the money. Yes, they’ve gotten more expensive.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently got a 10 tube lug 5" Pearl aluminum Sensitone that I thought would replace the acro that I gig with. Changed back to the acro after one set.
The Pearls are excellent...the 6.5 is my home snare and the best I've ever played.
But there's something fatter about the acro. Maybe it's because of the 8 lugs instead of 10.