Acro vs. Blackro

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With the same heads and same tuning should they not sound the same?

Browny

Reaction score
Similar, but I gather the finish is the main factor.

Anodised finish is very thin and an even 'satin' finish, powdercoat is thicker with a texture to it (orange peel, ripple, whatever you want to call it) while the Supra has a very thin & highly reflective chrome plating.

So if you're comparing a 10 lug anodized acro with a 10 lug blackrolite and a LM402 (with identical heads, wires & tuning) there should be some slight tonality variations between the three.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Similar, but I gather the finish is the main factor.

Anodised finish is very thin and an even 'satin' finish, powdercoat is thicker with a texture to it (orange peel, ripple, whatever you want to call it) while the Supra has a very thin & highly reflective chrome plating.

So if you're comparing a 10 lug anodized acro with a 10 lug blackrolite and a LM402 (with identical heads, wires & tuning) there should be some slight tonality variations between the three.
Acros are only 8 lugs. There is definately a difference between acro and supra

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the same heads and same tuning should they not sound the same?
Comparable year, size, head and tuning will sound different. The powder coating on the Blacro tames & dry's out some of the ring in the Acro. The Blacro definitely has a more controlled sound. To me the Blacro sounds closer to a Supra than a regular Acro. Personally, I think the Blacro's are the best sounding Acrolites. I've got a "last year made" 14x5 Blacro and it sounds pretty amazing.

Browny

Reaction score
Acros are only 8 lugs. There is definately a difference between acro and supra
You sure?

Nearly all 5" acros are 8 lugs, just like nealy all 6.5" acros are 10 lugs. There's a 10 lug acrolite sitting about 2m away from me now.

count_me_in

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have info about blacro's manufactured with imperial lugs? Was that a thing for a time, or would it have been a custom mod?

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have info about blacro's manufactured with imperial lugs? Was that a thing for a time, or would it have been a custom mod?

Ludwig did send out a small number of 5" Blacros with imperial lugs, most likely due to a shortage of bow tie lugs at the moment. Mike Layton would be the guy with more info. I know he has one as well.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Wish I had more data on those. I do have a very nice one and have also bought and sold 3 more I think. Beautiful drums. I "assume" they just went low on bowties at the time. I have a very early B/O model with the same possible story.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig often just put on what they had available. I have a Supra with Acro (Bowtie) lugs, drilled for a B+O badge but with a keystone. Quality control wasn't really Ludwig's "thing" ;)

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig often just put on what they had available. I have a Supra with Acro (Bowtie) lugs, drilled for a B+O badge but with a keystone. Quality control wasn't really Ludwig's "thing" ;)
Those were the last of the Chicago drums when they were using up existing parts inventory in preparation for the Monroe NC move. They have little to do with QC issues