Acrolite - Loctite it or send it back?

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
So I got a Blacrolite for $150 shipped about a week ago. It has one of those P85s that doesnt take a ribbon, just string. It's all attached well but it's still slipping (just like my older Acrolite). I actually have another spare P85, but I'm wondering if Purple loctite would fix it? Or should I just get the refund (it's Guitar Center Used)? Unfortunately I have never acquired an Acrolite without this problem!

I've looked at the P85 on the snare currently. It has a washer, the spring looks a little decompressed compared to my new one. Is it worth putting this on? I have never seen an Acrolite go for this price and I've searched for awhile, so might be worth it?

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would just put on the newer P85 that takes a ribbon. That's what I did with my 79 Supra. Not a fan of string.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Plumbing tape around the threads will help keep it from slipping or trade it out.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I got a new P85 for my late 1970s Supra on Amazon for $20 because the strings kept shredding on the original strainer. I prefer the plastic strips anyway, and it's rock solid now. I put the original strainer aside in case I decide to sell it (which may be a while - it sounds so good!)

Cheers...

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also agree on using the newer P85. They work great and haven't failed me! The biggest issue is getting the plastic strips aligned correctly in the bracket the first time! Once done, you're good to go!

-Mark

Attachments

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Learn how to tie a square not?... and use good snare cord? I've never had a P83/P85 that gave me a lick of trouble.

-Ryan

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just grabbed an acrolite this past weekend and it has the same problem, so last night I put on an old pearl strainer that I had laying around. Did the trick, no slipping.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probable suspect is the knot slipping.

Go on Youtube and check that the knot is correctly tied...it may be that simple!