Acrolite shell sizes and similar snares (and NOB options)

claytronica

Reaction score
Apologies for these questions and thanks in advance for advice --

1) I am seeing used (70's) acrolites listed at both 5 and 5.5"
Is this just incorrect information, or did they make both sizes?
Are there any particular vintages to avoid, or are they pretty consistent?

2) What would be some good similar snares that are available in 6 or 6.5"?
I know the reissue acros come that deep, but they seem overpriced.

3) If I go the NOB route, is there a particular budget NOB (Black Beauty knock-off) - that y'all favor?
Are the Pearl sensitone NOB's advisable?

Thanks again -
I hope to be pulling the trigger on one of these for my son's 9th birthday.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a B/O pointy badge early '70s Acro... I am pretty sure all the Ludwig snare shells of this era were 5", and not 5.5.

It is a great drum, I use it in my home studio as the regular recording snare there. Guitar Center has tons of used ones, with cheap shipping. Get a 70's Blue-Olive badge one. Around $200.

Pearl Sensitones are great also... I have a steel 6.5 (hard rock only!) and also a 5" spun Aluminum Sensitone... the alum Sensi as good as any Ludwig Supra out there. Brass Sensitones are just fine also.

Lots of Pork Pie fans here on the forum... if you can find a Pork Pie black brass snare those are supposed to be good also, but I have never owned one.

Pictured below is my regular practice/gigging brass snare, one of the best drums for the $$ I have had in 50 years of drumming. DW DESIGN Brass... $200

(Sweetwater has a nice 6.5 DW Design Brass for sale on ebay right now... probably a customer return... $280 or so, free shipping.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is my 5.5 Design snare:

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

Last edited:

claytronica

Reaction score
I have a B/O pointy badge early '70s Acro... I am pretty sure all the Ludwig snare shells of this era were 5", and not 5.5.

It is a great drum, I use it in my home studio as the regular recording snare there. Guitar Center has tons of used ones, with cheap shipping. Get a 70's Blue-Olive badge one. Around $200.

Pearl Sensitones are great also... I have a steel 6.5 (hard rock only!) and also a 5" spun Aluminum Sensitone... the alum Sensi as good as any Ludwig Supra out there. Brass Sensitones are just fine also.

Lots of Pork Pie fans here on the forum... if you can find a Pork Pie black brass snare those are supposed to be good also, but I have never owned one.

Here is my regular practice/gigging brass snare, one of the best drums for the $$ I have had in 50 years of drumming. DW DESIGN Brass.
Great info - thanks!

claytronica

Reaction score
Great info - thanks!

Here is my regular practice/gigging brass snare, one of the best drums for the $$ I have had in 50 years of drumming. DW DESIGN Brass... $200

View attachment 491996 View attachment 491997
Love that DW!
One more question - I know there are a tone of threads here about hoops - TF vs S vs Die cast.
I assue this
Great info - thanks!
Ok - I ended up grabbing a 70's acro from Musician's Friend for $149
Should I just live with it for a bit, or would it make sense to go for some S or die cast hoops? Strainer upgrade?
Yeah - I'm a terminal tinkerer. Feel free to tell me to just leave it alone.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acros are 5x14. Some people just don't know how to measure and measure from hoop to hoop - those are the "estate find" sellers who aren't drummers. Acros are aluminum and seamless and I am not aware of other seamless aluminum drums in 6" or 6.5" (other than 6.5" Acro reissues or Supras, which are chrome plated Acros with different lugs), so it's hard to say.

As for NOB snares, many decent brands. That DW design pictured above is nice, World Max makes good ones, Ludwig Black Magic, Pork Pie, etc. Pearl Chad Smith is nice, too, but is NOS (steel).

I actually have a nice NOB 5x14 PDP (a DW brand) Black Ace snare with tube lugs - Please PM me. It would make for a killer snare for a 9 y.o. kid!

KingLudwig

Reaction score
I was lucky enuff to get my hands on a qdrum raw aluminum snare drum. I ended up selling all my acrolites! (Except my NYC 6.5 acro of course!)

claytronica

Reaction score
Ok - I promise this my last round of Acro questions, and then I'll stop pestering y'all.

1) I picked up an Acro with a serial of 2207779. Not all that important - but can anybody date this? The info out there makes my tiny brain hurt.
2) There's a rubber grommet on the throw off that's pretty hard and dried out -- still seems to be doing its job -- but can/should this be replaced?
3) Has (I assume) the original TF hoops -- any reason to experiment with something different? (My kid likes a pretty dry Dave Grohl kind of sound)
4) Looks like the 12 wire strainer might be original - ("PAT 2517124" in blue lettering) - any reason to upgrade?
5) This one has a muffler -- do y'all ever use these to tame it, or is that ill-advised?
6) Don't want to smother the life out of the drum, but am thinking of a single ply Remo controlled sound reverse dot -- or could this drum tolerate something a little beefier?

As usual - a million thanks for your wisdom.