Acrolite snare, tuning issue

bthiemann80

Reaction score
I have had a 1970's ludwig acrolite for a year or so and have not had much success tuning it. Have tried a couple different heads including coated amb, emp, coated controlled sound and aquarian hi energy. Had most luck so far with the hi energy but still cannot get it 100%. I have an old peal steel export 14x5.5 steel snare that I can tune with nearly any head no prob at all. It seems as though with the acro that one lug area just will not cooperate, the note just always seems lower and with funky overtones than around the rest of the head, anyone else have this issue?

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Acro is generally a pretty easy drum to tune. You sure the shell isn't out of round or something? Did it get squashed at some point?

Try tuning along with one of the Bob Gatzen videos and see if you still have the issue.. or try a drum dial to see if your tensions are all correct.

zildjian@consol

DFO Master
Reaction score
that 1 insert in the problem lug might be stripped,try a new insert and rod.What sound are you looking for?

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Bearing edge might have gotten banged up sometime too.

bthiemann80

Reaction score
Looking for a basic snare sound and to hold a tuning. Should have mentioned that the hoops from the pearl are on there now, pearl has aftermarket 2.3 hoops currently. Also tried a pair of S hoops on the acro with same results. Checked for lug stripping but that doesn't seem to be an issue,

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Drum could be out of round, maybe dropped as was mentioned....you could pull the rims and heads, lay on a flat surface ie counter top, tabletop ect ect and check for unevenness.

donthedrummer

Reaction score
Saskatoon, Sask, Canada/Land Where a Man Cannot Le
This may be a long shot:
A friend had an acro that someone had repainted- poorly that sounded like poop, no matter what head/tuning he tried.
It turned out that the reso was a clear ambassador batter. Swapped it out for a new Ludwig snare reso and it smartened right up.

Don

Demonslayer

Reaction score
Second time I read about the Ludwig reso. Anyone has specific info on that, like on how it compares to other snare bottom heads out there?

Latest posts