Acrolite/Supraphonic Question

sammy123

Reaction score
I need some help. So I ordered a what was listed as a 67 Supraphonic from guitar center and it looks like a Acro to me but I'm far from an expert...evidenced by the fact that I bought it.

Anyway. 8 bowtie lugs, not 10 imperial lugs. The Guitar Center "Vintage Team" says it is a Supraphonic from before they were marketed as such. I've never heard that before. Serial number looks like late 66 to me. Photos are attached. I can add more later. Drum sounds fantastic regardless. But I probably overpaid if it's an Acro.

What's the concesus on what this drum is?

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's an Acrolite. A very nice one. It uses the same exact shell as a Supra except it is punched for 8 instead of 10 lugs and is not chrome plated so there will be no difference in the bearing edge.

How much did you pay for it? Without knowing that we cannot tell you if you overpaid. Keystone bade Acrolites go for quite a bit these days.

sammy123

Reaction score
Thank you both. It's disturbing to think that this so called vintage team at GC is possibly peddling something incorrectly. Also it's annoying that the return on vintage items is 3 days. So I have to act fast. But I'll see what others have to add to the discussion.

sammy123

Reaction score
It's an Acrolite. A very nice one. It uses the same exact shell as a Supra except it is punched for 8 instead of 10 lugs and is not chrome plated so there will be no difference in the bearing edge.

How much did you pay for it? Without knowing that we cannot tell you if you overpaid. Keystone bade Acrolites go for quite a bit these days.
$349. So I feel I overpaid....for an Acrolite. The only reason I went for it is because I had a $100 gift card. It's in great condition though.

sammy123

Reaction score
>The Guitar Center "Vintage Team" says it is a Supraphonic from before they were marketed as such<

Ok...there's your first problem...a "Vintage Team" at GC?
Yeah I'm pretty sure the guy on the phone could hear me rolling my eyes when he said that. Pretty unethical in my opinion. They do this a lot with old Acros.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That snare is definitely nice! See if they will knock some money off for a misrepresented item? They may in order to avoid dealing with the cost and hassle of a return.

sammy123

Reaction score
That snare is definitely nice! See if they will knock some money off for a misrepresented item? They may in order to avoid dealing with the cost and hassle of a return.
I tried and when they called back that is when they gave me the line about the vintage experts confirming it was a Supraphonic.....and of course then they reminded I have to return it no later than tomorrow. So that means I have to rearrange my schedule tomorrow to get to a guitar center. Lame.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried and when they called back that is when they gave me the line about the vintage experts confirming it was a Supraphonic.....and of course then they reminded I have to return it no later than tomorrow. So that means I have to rearrange my schedule tomorrow to get to a guitar center. Lame.
Yeah. Pretty lame. Even if it doesn't get you anywhere, I would still talk to a manager and leave a review.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks that is a Supra should be sentenced to work at a Guitar Center...

$349 is on the high end of the scale but if you look at sold auctions on ebay it is not completely out of line. Especially given how clean that example appears to be. That is definitely one of the nicer ones that I have ever seen.

How much did you pay for shipping?

Last edited:

sammy123

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks that is a Supra should be sentenced to work at a Guitar Center...

$349 is on the high end of the scale but if you look at sold auctions on ebay it is not completely out of line. Especially given how clean that example appears to be.

How much did you pay for shipping?
Yeah the condition is the one thing making me have second thoughts.

gkrk

Reaction score
This is a "May I talk to the manager?" situation, and then, when you get the manager ask to talk to their supervisor/manager, and keep asking this up the chain until you get someone (who might be in another state or country!) who gives you satisfaction. Persist! That is absolutely not a Supraphonic, and it's absolutely obvious. The return turnaround doesn't apply here, I think.

sammy123

Reaction score
This is a "May I talk to the manager?" situation, and then, when you get the manager ask to talk to their supervisor/manager, and keep asking this up the chain until you get someone (who might be in another state or country!) who gives you satisfaction. Persist! That is absolutely not a Supraphonic, and it's absolutely obvious. The return turnaround doesn't apply here, I think.
I had to argue with them get more than 3 days to return this. I finally got the manager to call my guitar center. So they know I'm coming this weekend and will be out of the 3 day window.

You should have heard him talking more about how all their experts were certain this was an Acrolite. It was ridiculous.

I guess the lesson I learned here is ask more questions before buying.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Frankly, you should tell that GC manager that ALL of your friends online are making snarky comments about GC. In a non threatening way of course.

I don't care how nice it is. No one should pay more than $200 tops for a standard keystone acro. Unless it's a birthday drum of course. And that would be the buyer's fault for disclosing his weakness.

JFBL

Reaction score
60s Acros are great, I have a 67 too. I LOVE mine. Shame about those experts, ahhh retail.