Acrolite/Supraphonic Question

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Make sure they refund your shipping. They will likely fight it initially because it comes out of the gaining store’s pocket.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I’ve got to be honest about this even if I sound foolish: I’ve got a 60’s Acro and it sees more stand time than my 60’s Supra. If I lost it, I’d probably be willing to pay three bills for another in great condition. It’s the flexibility of use that creates the level of value for me. And amount of use. I use it a lot. More than some of my expensive snares. It’s not always about getting a drum for a great deal; sometimes it’s about getting a great drum.
My Acro sounds like a million.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can go thru the GC used listings with random searches and I can assure you that at least 60% of the time they have no idea what they have or how to rate the "condition" of said item. This can work to your advantage or you can get screwed by the GC "experts". I'd never pay $200 plus shipping for an Acro, but that's just me.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
The first photo is a dead giveaway for Acro - non-chrome satin finish with bow tie lugs. The price you paid was ridiculous even if a real Supra. You can get real KB Supras for much less (I think one sold here for under $200 this past week!)

The GC idiots are just that - idiots! Their "vintage dept" are just idiots that are in their Hollywood store. I've had SO MANY of these deals it's not funny - cymbals, snares & whole kits that were mis-described or just the wrong photo!

Take it into the local GC and you should get a full refund PLUS the s/h.
If not, make the store mgr call into the Online Sales dept while you browse (ie: don't waste YOUR time on hold!).......you will get it all sorted out.

The most annoying part is all they will do is relist the item with the same price and same description for the next guy......been there, done that!!!

And you should familiarize yourself with the basic differences between Acro (8 bow ties, satin finish, likely no pitting) & Supra (10 lugs, imperial, chrome finish and likely some-much pitting).

Now, COA vs. COB Supra's - that's a whole other discussion.......

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$349. So I feel I overpaid....for an Acrolite. The only reason I went for it is because I had a $100 gift card. It's in great condition though.
I'd return it just on principle. $349 is high for a Supraphonic, let alone an Acrolite. Both of those snare drums are like 14 New Beats. Go on "Music Go Round" and you'll find tons of them for low dough. Return it and you'll feel better. You really will. And you'll find another one for less money and won't feel like you were gauged.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd return it just on principle. $349 is high for a Supraphonic, let alone an Acrolite. Both of those snare drums are like 14 New Beats. Go on "Music Go Round" and you'll find tons of them for low dough. Return it and you'll feel better. You really will. And you'll find another one for less money and won't feel like you were gauged.
$120 is about what I paid for my Acrolite. https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40015-S000230558/used-ludwig-14x5-acrolite-snare-drum

Here's a Supraphonic with some minor pitting for $279 plus shipping. https://www.musicgoround.com/product/41118-S000010454/used-14-ludwig-supraphonic-snare-w-case

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Did a quick search on GC used "Ludwig Snare" and saw two or three acrolites listed as Supraphonics even B/O badged ones. Also one Rocker steel black and white badge snare listed as an acrolite.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got an almost identical acrolite a couple years ago for only $140 because a store had made the exact opposite mistake — labelled it as "vintage Ludwig steel snare" - not surprisingly also guitar center.

Last edited:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Right now,ive got a kit in transit from GC.
Its in 3 boxes!
GC egg - spurts probably didn't know how to pack!
Take that snare back if its not what you wanted, dont let them get away with it.
If my kit is even slightly different than what im expecting, its gone!

sammy123

Reaction score
Just returned it. Of course they screwed up that too, but it's done. A new search begins...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool. I just bought a kit today on an impulse from a GC near in Philly....I sure hope it's not a screw up.....but there's NO WAY a 3 piece kit is only $43 to ship to Cali........

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
You can buff a 60's Acrolite to a stunning shine .

Supraphonic - ten lugs , very rarely with bow ties ( Chicago large Keystone just before the move to NC ) .

sammy123

Reaction score
So in the time since this ordeal ended I managed to find another Acrolite AND and Supraphonic. The Acrolite isn't as nice as the first one, but the Supraphonic is in outstanding condition. The Acrolite is a 66 and the Supraphonic is a 67.

The throw-off on the Acro sticks a bit, which is annoying. The Supra smooth as butter. I've disassembled and cleaned them both, greased everything, and put new heads on. They sound fantastic. Right now I have the Acro tuned up a bit higher that the Supra. Both were cranked super tight when I got them.

So here they are with my new production 10 lug Acro on bottom.

MVIMG_20200223_154917.jpg

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Glad you were able to find them!
Both snares sit well with any kit. Never overpowers the set.
Congrats!

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Ahoy, and nicely done!

With those three able bodied crew members pictured, you’re ready for just about any voyage, I’d say.

ludwignut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is simply an Acrolite. A bit overpriced ,but it is in nice shape. You should speak to the manager.

Rob

Drummer1990

Reaction score
What I think you have there is a Ludwig Acrolite that has been lathed or polished to shiny finish... Kinda weird to do that to a Acro as the roughness Aluminum shell is what makes it different from a Supraphonic.