Acrolites...405's?

Hindadoon

Pro
Reaction score
Hi all,

While I was trying to locate and purchase a 6.5" Blacrolite, I realized just how seemingly scarce the 6.5" versions are. I believe those are the 405 models? At any rate, as most of us here know the Acro line turned out to be a winner for Ludwig and for those of us who swear by those little "student" drums. I own a few versions and use them all, but my prototype sounds especially good under a mic and gets the most action. The drum came with Imperial lugs from the factory and brass hoops. I'm not sure if the hoops are factory or not.

There seem to be so many versions and anomalies starting with the prototype. And then there are a few first gen Acro's with crimped beds! How many of those are out there? I know of 3.

At any rate, I was wondering if 405 owners would chime in so to try to get a sense of how many 405's we have here at the DFO. The shallow 5' version seem to be a dime a dozen. But after looking daily for well over two months for a 405, I've only come across one, and that was due to a kind DFO member who tipped me off.

I do have a long standing affection for Acrolites, and welcome opinions and insight...Also tell me about your 405's!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one either.
Hopefully you scored the one you came across.
If you did do you have a photo of it?
Wayne

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

While I was trying to locate and purchase a 6.5" Blacrolite, I realized just how seemingly scarce the 6.5" versions are. I believe those are the 405 models? At any rate, as most of us here know the Acro line turned out to be a winner for Ludwig and for those of us who swear by those little "student" drums. I own a few versions and use them all, but my prototype sounds especially good under a mic and gets the most action. The drum came with Imperial lugs from the factory and brass hoops. I'm not sure if the hoops are factory or not.

There seem to be so many versions and anomalies starting with the prototype. And then there are a few first gen Acro's with crimped beds! How many of those are out there? I know of 3.

At any rate, I was wondering if 405 owners would chime in so to try to get a sense of how many 405's we have here at the DFO. The shallow 5' version seem to be a dime a dozen. But after looking daily for well over two months for a 405, I've only come across one, and that was due to a kind DFO member who tipped me off.

I do have a long standing affection for Acrolites, and welcome opinions and insight...Also tell me about your 405's!

Thanks in advance.

Paul
I owned 3 at one time.
Down to 1 now.
Pawnshop find
$140
Punchy with just enough hi end to cut.
Articulate,from a whisper to a roar.
Acros,Supras never seem to over power the kit and the 6.5 is the same,sits great with any kit ive played.
Never sounds thin like a 5" Acro.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are beauty's
I think Paul is talking about a 6.5 Blacrolite.
Wayne

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
The LM-405 is the 6.5 Black Galaxy Acrolite...aka Blacro....Blacrolite. Great snare drums. They aren't the easiest thing to come by for sure. I've bought almost every one that I have come across on a buy it now situation. I've owned either three or four. I still have the most recent one that I purchased. Like some of the others, I also have an original 60's and 70's 6.5 Acrolites. I own 22 Acrolites that are each different style/versions.My first 6.5 Black Galaxy Acrolite.jpg6307845 6.5 Black Galaxy Acrolite.jpgdeep blacro acro 10.jpg6302335 6.5 Black Galaxy Acrolite 1.jpg Here are some pics of the 6.5 Black Galaxy models.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
love the big drum pictures.

on a side note - 405 was the catalog number for 13x3 metal piccolos back in the day.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Sound wise a 402 should be in the same ballpark no? I mean only difference in the shell School=brushed aluminum, blacro = black coating, 402=chrome.... all have 10 lugs right or do some have 8? Strictly talking about the 6.5x14

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sound wise a 402 should be in the same ballpark no? I mean only difference in the shell School=brushed aluminum, blacro = black coating, 402=chrome.... all have 10 lugs right or do some have 8? Strictly talking about the 6.5x14
Chris,the Blackro to my ears,has a punchy tone ie deeper tones that hit ya in the gut, where the chromed 402 is brighter in sound,tbe 402 is punchy but not enough for me ,im assuming its the coating that takes some brightness out of the 405 but the 2.3hoops on the Blackro give the crack/snap to the snare.
Its the same shell,seamless aluminum plus the classic lugs ,Imps on the 402,i sure,change the tone somewhat.
You're correct,not much difference and the same shell.

Hindadoon

Pro
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and gorgeous photos of your Acrolites! To my ears the blacrolite records really well especially at a lower tuning for that 70's thud. I've yet to record the 6.5 but the 5' sounds quite nice.
Thanks again all. Paul

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
a 6.5 blackro just went for $301 yesterday on ebay.
Plus shipping. The last two (each pretty clean) I saw in the market over the past 6 weeks sold for about $335 shipped. Prior to this $200-250 was the going rate I recorded. I’m pretty sure the small pocket of demand here along with this and the Wanted threads pushed the price up.

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
I owned 3 at one time.
Down to 1 now.
Pawnshop find
$140
Punchy with just enough hi end to cut.
Articulate,from a whisper to a roar.
Acros,Supras never seem to over power the kit and the 6.5 is the same,sits great with any kit ive played.
Never sounds thin like a 5" Acro.
Respectfully, if your 5" is sounding "thin", you might want to reconsider head choice, tuning, etc. Check out this Mike Dawson video (Modern Drummer magazine). He did a reissuded 6.5 and vintage 5" comparison...both sound amazing, imo. And the 5" certainly doesn't sound thin.