Acrolites...405's?

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Respectfully, if your 5" is sounding "thin", you might want to reconsider head choice, tuning, etc. Check out this Mike Dawson video (Modern Drummer magazine). He did a reissuded 6.5 and vintage 5" comparison...both sound amazing, imo. And the 5" certainly doesn't sound thin.

I use a PowerCenter on all my snares and prefer 6.5s.
5" Acros are great,have had many over the decades,but 6.5,yeah baby!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Respectfully, if your 5" is sounding "thin", you might want to reconsider head choice, tuning, etc. Check out this Mike Dawson video (Modern Drummer magazine). He did a reissuded 6.5 and vintage 5" comparison...both sound amazing, imo. And the 5" certainly doesn't sound thin.

Definitely nothing thin sounding about 5" Blacros. I can get any sound out of that drum. I think it's the best sounding and most versatile Acro. I think that black coating gives it a special sound that's less ringy than the standard Acro. It's perfect! I love it so much, I've even thought about getting a second one to keep it as a spare in case anything happens to this one. With factory Ludwig Weather master heads, & the internal tone muffler cranked half way it sounds like magic. I would love a 6.5 though! Good video by the way!

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
Definitely nothing thin sounding about 5" Blacros. I can get any sound out of that drum. I think it's the best sounding and most versatile Acro. I think that black coating gives it a special sound that's less ringy than the standard Acro. It's perfect! I love it so much, I've even thought about getting a second one to keep it as a spare in case anything happens to this one. With factory Ludwig Weather master heads, & the internal tone muffler cranked half way it sounds like magic. I would love a 6.5 though! Good video by the way!
I would love to have a 6.5 version as well.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would love to have a 6.5 version as well.
I was really considering buying a new Supra 6.5 this year but I really want the 6.5 Blacro. I think I'll search for one when I'm ready. And I'm sure I'm gonna have to pay top dollar for a nice one. But it is what it is. I imagine it will cost around what a new Supra costs.

Last edited:

Ptrick

Reaction score
I think I’ll take my 6.5 Supra and take it to my local powder coating guy and have him throw a black galaxy finish on there. I have a couple supras, so should be a good experiment.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I’ll take my 6.5 Supra and take it to my local powder coating guy and have him throw a black galaxy finish on there. I have a couple supras, so should be a good experiment.
That would be really cool! And it doesn't have to be Black, it would be really cool in another color. I'd love to have one in blue to match my set. I wonder what a powder coated Supra would sound like though? You might be on to something!

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
I have a 6.5 Blackro I bought from someone here on the DFO, many years ago. I looked for 2 years on Ebay and finally asked here and got a response. Glad I beat a few to the punch. Wish I could remember who I bought it from, for a good price too. See the drum on the next post. 3rd from left.

Last edited:

Latest posts