Acrylic Drums, Love 'Em or Not

earteaga

Reaction score
This is my '70s Vistalite kit in solid black. It sounds great, with punch and definition, and most FOH guys tell me the drums are easy to dial in quickly. I swap heads now and then for a different sound, but mainly use Pinstripes for batters and Ambassadors for resonants. There are some scratches on it, which to me are just battle scars. From a distance they look great.

--
Eddie

lukevistas.jpg

vigilante397

Reaction score
I first heard a Ludwig VistaLite at Guitar Center 15 years ago and I was sold on acrylic immediately. Finally had enough money to trade up to a DW Design Acrylic in 2016 and I absolutely love it. I put LED strips in it pretty soon after I got it as my band was gigging and thought it would be a good look. A couple weeks ago I pulled them out and added RGB strips for a little more obnoxious options :p

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Plastic drums aren’t my cup of tea at the moment, but I never say never.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably not, but I'd be concerned with splitting or cracking. I heard that the Ludwig's are known to crack over time, usually near a screw hole.
- I've heard that a lot re 70's Ludwigs, which are not seamless. I have had no such issues; I use SKB hard cases on this kit to minimize transport stress issues. I also avoid bringing them to soccer matches.

Last edited:

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
- I've heard that a lot re 70's Ludwigs, whihc are not seamless. I have had no such issues; I use SKB hard cases on this kit to minimize transport stress issues. I also avoid bringing them to soccer matches.
Just to be clear (no pun intended) the reissue Vistalites are not seamless either but are double-welded and seem super strong. I've had zero issues with my 2011 kit.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just to be clear (no pun intended) the reissue Vistalites are not seamless either but are double-welded and seem super strong. I've had zero issues with my 2011 kit.
- I understand they stepped up their game quite a bit.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is my '70s Vistalite kit in solid black. It sounds great, with punch and definition, and most FOH guys tell me the drums are easy to dial in quickly. I swap heads now and then for a different sound, but mainly use Pinstripes for batters and Ambassadors for resonants. There are some scratches on it, which to me are just battle scars. From a distance they look great.

--
Eddie

View attachment 426858
It looks in really great condition, but I’ve only had the attraction to the see through shells. The don’t sound good enough to be solid. I’d just as well buy a wood kit.

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Well as the proud owner of 2 different acrylic kits, it's pretty safe to say I love 'em! Not to the exclusion of wood-shelled drums, but they definitely have a place with me. I've owned my reissued Vistalite kit since 2011 and it still looks brand-new (no cracks or swirl marks at all). My Pearl Crystal Beat Concert Toms are also visually striking and sound fantastic as well.
Love the looks of your Ludwig kit. Very nice indeed! The Pearls are nice too, tho I never cared for the look or sound of single headed toms as much as double headed.

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
I've never owned an acrylic kit but I have played on two kits. The first was a set of Zickos in a recording studio. They were nice but the studio had them muffled a bit too much for my liking. The second kit I played was a mid seventies Fibes kit in a drum store. They were beautiful to look at (I don't know what the color was called but they were kind of a brownish smoke color). The shop keeper had them tuned up real nice - wide open the way I like. It was definitely one of the best sounding drum kits I've ever played. Sometimes I wish I could travel back in time and just buy the darn kit.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love the looks of your Ludwig kit. Very nice indeed! The Pearls are nice too, tho I never cared for the look or sound of single headed toms as much as double headed.
Thanks much! I had wanted a Vistalite for years but didn't really get serious about it until 2010--I ordered mine in Dec of that year and received them in late Feb of '11. I happen to really like concert toms as well, but kinda ruled out a vintage Vistalite kit of them but when Pearl announced the return of single-headed acrylic toms in 2016 I was all in. Got those in March of '17. I love them both--the Vistalites sound incredible, and the Pearls have a ton of presence and "pop".

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll put it this way: A lot of the gigs I do wouldn't benefit from that sound, but I did a reggae gig on a Vistalite and it was "the bomb" for that gig. I would on the other hand love to own a fiberglass Pearl kit.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I recently got a new Purple Sparkle Vistalite set (14x24, 9x13, 16x16) and it sounds fantastic. One badge is a tad crooked and I had to add washers to the BD tuning rods to keep them from bottoming out inside the small classic lugs but otherwise, it's very well-made. Still wearing the stock heads - Ka-BOOM!

Latest posts