Acrylic Drums, Love 'Em or Not

Drm1979

Reaction score
Just to clarify from my original post, I have no problem with the way acrylic drums sound. I actually like the big open sound. I just dont care for the way they look.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
This is my '70s Vistalite kit in solid black. It sounds great, with punch and definition, and most FOH guys tell me the drums are easy to dial in quickly. I swap heads now and then for a different sound, but mainly use Pinstripes for batters and Ambassadors for resonants. There are some scratches on it, which to me are just battle scars. From a distance they look great.

--
Eddie

View attachment 426858
I have found that acrylic drums are very susceptible to or reflective of the heads on them. The shells have very little effect on the sound compared to the head choice....

poa77

Reaction score
i've had 2 acrylic kits over the years. the first was a blue vistalite ludwig set but this one here was by far the weirdest i've even seen or owned. made by an italian company, Meazzi these were called Wooding Cristalline drums. no need to worry about blemishes or swirls on these as that's already built in!!! sounded great and looked amazing but i never really got to use them in earnest so had to sell them unfortunately. they ended up with soulwax (with one of their 3 drummers!!!).

Attachments

mebeatee

Reaction score
i've had 2 acrylic kits over the years. the first was a blue vistalite ludwig set but this one here was by far the weirdest i've even seen or owned. made by an italian company, Meazzi these were called Wooding Cristalline drums. no need to worry about blemishes or swirls on these as that's already built in!!! sounded great and looked amazing but i never really got to use them in earnest so had to sell them unfortunately. they ended up with soulwax (with one of their 3 drummers!!!).
Those are way way kewl!!!!!
bt

Drm1979

Reaction score
Ok so maybe I like the looks of those. I just dont like completely see through drums.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll put it this way: A lot of the gigs I do wouldn't benefit from that sound, but I did a reggae gig on a Vistalite and it was "the bomb" for that gig. I would on the other hand love to own a fiberglass Pearl kit.
I'll put it this way: A lot of the gigs I do wouldn't benefit from that sound, but I did a reggae gig on a Vistalite and it was "the bomb" for that gig. I would on the other hand love to own a fiberglass Pearl kit.
I don't know how often if ever you come to Ottawa , but when you do, I have a late70's 22 13 14 16 16 Pearl Fiberglass kit in the basement you're welcome to check out . 9.5/10 factory complete white wrap .

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
I have been playing Fibes acrylic drums since 1979. Currently on my 3rd. Fibes Crystalite kit (Austin era with consecutive serial numbers) which I purchased new in 2001. I have also owned one set of Ludwig vistalites. The Fibes shells are much better quality than the Ludwigs.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Honestly, I've never been a fan of the way acrylic drums look. I know that there are some folks who really like them. But I've never really cared for them. The first drum kit I ever played on was an acrylic that my at the time girlfriends father owned when i was in high school and i just remember seeing all the little cracks and swirl Mark's in the acrylic from where it had been wiped clean before and just did not care for the look of that at all. This came up today as rdavidr built a Ludwig vistalite kit and while I support rdavidr and what he does I still cant stand the look of an acrylic drum kit. I posted the link to his video if any of you want to see what he did.

First kit I ever played on was an acrylic kit, too.
Big Beat Vistalites that belonged to my high school Jazz band.
As for the shells themselves...."Love" is a strong word.
I can appreciate the look and the sound is unique to that shell. Not good or bad, just....what they are.
Aesthetically, I've always thought I'd like them better if I could get them in solid colours, instead of the see-thru stuff.
I agree on the cracking, too. Why not just reinforce in those areas? Because they're see-thru shells? BAH! I'd rather have something that performed, rather than freaking out over the fact that my whole kit may fall to pieces at any time (because of the cracks).

Elvis

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have full kit, but I did pick up a Spaun acrylic snare when I was playing in a band called "Hellin Back". the sand blasted flames were cool. This is a shot of it with a three watt LED pin spot shining up at it, and another shot of it without lighting. It sounds good cranked up, but is sort of a one trick pony, so I never ended up gigging with it.

Attachments

Last edited:

vigilante397

Reaction score
Finished powder coating the hardware on my kick, still trying to work out curing bigger pieces like hoops so the other pieces may take a while, but I like how it's looking so far.
86969495_124730505752787_337100403831209984_o.jpg

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cycle through my kits, I’ve been gigging my old Vistas for the last couple months. Love the bass drum thump, and the floor Tom has a good rumble. I’m using a keystone badge Acro to round it out. So yeah, I love them for looks AND sound.

Attachments