Acrylic shell repair/Fibes-what's that stuff?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry-I know somewhere on a few other threads its been discussed.
I have a Fibes tom where it cracked along the seam but at the very end veered off...anyway I had repaired it (the whole seam was undone) and just this end didn't keep.

What's the name of the product to use that softens both ends so they fuse together...and...it almost looks like a small bit of the shell is missing...like maybe I should add an acrylic tab.

IMG_20190725_222731277.jpg

TRJR

Reaction score
I have a Fibes tom where it cracked along the seam but at the very end veered off...anyway I had repaired it (the whole seam was undone) and just this end didn't keep.

What's the name of the product to use that softens both ends so they fuse together...and...it almost looks like a small bit of the shell is missing...like maybe I should add an acrylic tab.

View attachment 408456
Can’t offer any fixes for your shell but seem to remember a drumshop in the Detroit area which advertised repairing Ludwig Vistalite shells. Any Detroit drummers out there that might be able to chime in with any information for this brother?

loach71

Reaction score
You should buy three or four ratcheting band clamps to pull the crack together. Buy a pint of methylene chloride solvent. Buy a couple of small hypodermic syringes. With some sand paper remove the sharp tip from the needle on the syringes. Work outdoors with eye protection. Fill the hypodermic syringe with methylene chloride. In a dropwise fashion, using the syringe add methylene chloride all along the length of the crack. Pull the crack together in a step-wise fashion (one increment on the ratchet mechanism on the band clamp) after you have applied the methylene chloride to the crack. Repeat this procedure 6 times. Leave the clamps on overnight to ensure complete bonding.

After this procedure is finished, remove the band clamps and inspect the crack for complete adhesion. You will then need to cleanup the cosmetic damage to the exterior face of the shell caused by the methylene chloride. This will involve sanding the shell with a random orbital sander. Start with 220 grit, wipe clean the shell, then proceed to 310 grit. Repeat this procedure with 600 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit and 2000 grit sandpapers. From 600 grit upwards the sanding must be done WET (with water applied from a plant sprayer).

Wash the shell with Dawn dishwashing detergent and dry with a soft terry cloth towel. Go to an automotive supply store and purchase a bottle of plexiglass polish. Also purchase a lamb's wool buffer attachment for your random orbital sander. With this you can buff / polish the plexiglass shell to its original luster.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: dtk

loach71

Reaction score

View attachment 408456
Looking at the proximity of the crack to the shell holes that accept the mounting screws for the tension lugs, I would personally abandon the repair of that shell. Even if the shell was expertly repaired it would remain weak at that point and prone to expected failure when in service.

I would buy a welded acrylic drum shell from the people at RCI. They have a quality product. Here is a link to their website: