header.nohb.html

Adapter for Ludwig 60's bassdrum spurs to modern

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I want to use my 60's Ludwigs as my main set but the bassdrum is not sturdy enough. I want to use the newer generic (Pearl?) bassdrum spurs but I don't want to drill new holes.
I have an idea for an adapter for attaching modern bassdrum spurs to the two holes on 60's Ludwig bassdrums, but want to know if any of you allready have made an adaptor? Any pictures?

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't made an adapter but I've heard of using a piece of wood as an adapter. I think that someone was selling some adapters for replacing old hard-to-find throwoffs with new ones on snares. The concept is to have both sets of holes in a piece of wood that can attach both parts to each other. Sorry I can't think of the name of the product because some pictures would surely help!

-------edit------

Here's a link to something, but I think I've seen reference to others as well:

http://www.dwsnare.com/

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
bjornk said:
I want to use my 60's Ludwigs as my main set but the bassdrum is not sturdy enough. I want to use the newer generic (Pearl?) bassdrum spurs but I don't want to drill new holes.
I have an idea for an adapter for attaching modern bassdrum spurs to the two holes on 60's Ludwig bassdrums, but want to know if any of you allready have made an adaptor? Any pictures?
If you are talking about the 1960's foldout spurs like the ones in the attached picture you can buy the newer replacement holder. (it also doubles as a tom holder)
There are 3 advantages to adding the newer part,
1) bolt on, no modifications needed.
2) the Eye Bolt has teeth that exactly match the vintage spurs that are already part of your kit and will not slip like the smooth original Eye Bolts
3) There are memory locks available that would serve to further lock them into place and make setup that much easier.

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vipercussionist said:
bjornk said:
If you are talking about the 1960's foldout spurs like the ones in the attached picture you can buy the newer replacement holder. (it also doubles as a tom holder)
2) the Eye Bolt has teeth that exactly match the vintage spurs that are already part of your kit and will not slip like the smooth original Eye Bolts
3) There are memory locks available that would serve to further lock them into place and make setup that much easier.
Who sell these replacement holders?

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
The part number of the mentioned replacement bracket is "Ludwig P1216D" I installed them on my 67 BDP kit. It is a direct replacment with the holes lining up perfect.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
bjornk said:
Vipercussionist said:
bjornk said:
Who sell these replacement holders?
Pretty much any Ludwig dealer should have or be able to get them. If they have them, just look at it carefully and make sure the teeth are there. It won't work without the teeth.

Now that Stixnergard2 has supplied you with the Model Number, it should be easy. You can get them online, but I'll bet the local Ludwig dealer will have 'em.

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Make sure to order the memory locks (I think Ludwig calls them Quik-sets) since they are not included with holder P1216D. Ludwig makes different sized Quik-sets. You need the smaller ones that fit the 9.5 mm rods. It's part number P1728.

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes my local drumshop had them and you're right, they fit in the holes and holds the foldout spurs tight and in place.
:occasion5:

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
bjornk said:
Yes my local drumshop had them and you're right, they fit in the holes and holds the foldout spurs tight and in place.
:occasion5:
AWESOME!! And your Vintage Drums still ARE Vintage, with NO EXTRA HOLES!!
My work here is done. :cheers:

:D