add on floor tom....14" or 18" thoughts

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I usually play with 12/13/15/16, and get good separation of pitch and projection. If the choice were between a 14 and an 18 I'd go for the 18, on the theory that higher tension would give the desired pitches and better stick response. But frankly, either one will probably work well. In the past I've used 8/10/12/13/14/15/16, and easily get a two octave range across the toms.

How much room do you have in your hauler?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm faced with a similar scenario with the new "standard" kit I just got. 12, 13, 16, 22. I think a 14"x14" floor tom will do just fine, but I've decided to go with two 16" floor toms. However, one 16" will be 14"x16" while the other will be 16"x16". First time I've tried this, so we'll see what happens.

GeeDeeEmm

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really depends on the type of music you are playing. A thundering set of big floor toms is great, but only in the right context.

I get a lot more use of a 14 & 16 set up, but that's because it suits the style of music my band plays.
what do you mean tom size depends on the style of music ? that doesnt make sense. what type of music do you use a 14 for and an 18 for ? explain

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna say something that might tee some off. This stuff about certain size toms are for certain types of music is wrong. ANY size tom can be used for any type of music. I have been playing since 1970 and have seen it all. I'm from mississippi,lived in iowa,wyoming,va beach,atlanta,houston,and los angeles since 1987. I read where an 18" is for only certain kinds of music. Well tell me what is YOUR opinion of the type of music an 18" is for ? What about a 20" ? What kind of music is a 14" for ? Is a 10" or 12" tom sutible for rock and metal ? Is a 16" and 18" good for blues and jazz. Why do you say its hard to tune an 18" tom ? People ask for advice and they deserve to have an accurate but there is so much BS answers in this thread. Its one thing to say "IMO" but to give a bs answer as gospel is wrong. Drum size and type and heads and tuning has always been about the sound the drummer wanted not about the kind of music they play.

PS. I suggested an 18" because it will be a little easier to blend with the OPs drum sizes. I have also have 2 sets with 6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 toms. I also played a variety of other tom sizes including a 13,14,16 setup i had. Then a 13,16,16. I eventually went to a 13,16,18 because the sizes blended better, had better note separation, sounded way better. It doesnt matter what kind of music he plays.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Edited to include IMHO. But hey he asked us, right?

If it’s gotta be a FT, a 14, but honestly I rarely use my 14’s. I’d go for a 10 as mentioned above. To me, it’s more useful.

Last edited:

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
When I wrestle with these add-on questions in my own head, I realize the answer is usually to save your money and get another kit with the sizes you want in mind.

-Ryan

felis

Reaction score
14 for a floor tom. 18 if you're going to make a bass drum out of it.
I like the 10 and 14 idea.

blownaway

Reaction score
Just picked up an 18x17 Sonor SQ1 to go with my 13 tom & 16" floor tom. Haven't played it yet. Looking forward to this combo.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not going to tell you what to do, the suggestions above are all good. Now you might want to think about quality of tone for your 13" tom; to get nice separation between the 13, 14 and 16 can it be tuned a little higher and still sound great as it does now. And/Or could the 16" be tuned lower to sound good as it is now. And it really depends on how much separation you want. I played a 10, 12, 14 for some time but I wanted a 16" tom sound so lowering the tom to a range that covered a 16 seemed to work well but the turnings were in the medium to high range. If you plan to stay in a low range maybe you might want to go for the 18".

Your ear will tell you what your looking for. Try tuning the 16" lower and listen; is that what you want if not get the 18". And if you go for the 18" it can also be converted to a NICE small bass drum in the future. Don't forget the 13" tune it up a little and see what you think.

Good luck, let your ears do the talking OR get both. LOL

sherm

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own both size floor toms on a couple diff kits, and I gotta vote for the 18. Mainly because I usually play 2 floors and I am not crazy about my 1st floor being 14". I can and do make it work on my Vistalites (12/14/16/22), but I REALLY prefer my 13/16/18 set ups.....

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna say something that might tee some off. This stuff about certain size toms are for certain types of music is wrong. ANY size tom can be used for any type of music. I have been playing since 1970 and have seen it all. I'm from mississippi,lived in iowa,wyoming,va beach,atlanta,houston,and los angeles since 1987. I read where an 18" is for only certain kinds of music. Well tell me what is YOUR opinion of the type of music an 18" is for ? What about a 20" ? What kind of music is a 14" for ? Is a 10" or 12" tom sutible for rock and metal ? Is a 16" and 18" good for blues and jazz. Why do you say its hard to tune an 18" tom ? People ask for advice and they deserve to have an accurate but there is so much BS answers in this thread. Its one thing to say "IMO" but to give a bs answer as gospel is wrong. Drum size and type and heads and tuning has always been about the sound the drummer wanted not about the kind of music they play.

PS. I suggested an 18" because it will be a little easier to blend with the OPs drum sizes. I have also have 2 sets with 6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 toms. I also played a variety of other tom sizes including a 13,14,16 setup i had. Then a 13,16,16. I eventually went to a 13,16,18 because the sizes blended better, had better note separation, sounded way better. It doesnt matter what kind of music he plays.
- For those of us who are hired on a professional basis, we try to bring the right tools and sounds for the gig. Space constrictions may suggest smaller drums. The ranges of the instruments we are playing with and the timbres that fit those in the music we will be playing may suggest certain sizes as well. We make the musical choices, but it helps to have suitable, properly configured tools. If I know I’m going to need a scalpel, I leave the chisel at home.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I have my 18 tuned just below where many folks tune their 16's. I think i use it more than the 16. I suspect you could take most anyone's posts in the thread and cross out the diameter and write the pitch, and find them suddenly in agreement.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
- For those of us who are hired on a professional basis, we try to bring the right tools and sounds for the gig. Space constrictions may suggest smaller drums. The ranges of the instruments we are playing with and the timbres that fit those in the music we will be playing may suggest certain sizes as well. We make the musical choices, but it helps to have suitable, properly configured tools. If I know I’m going to need a scalpel, I leave the chisel at home.
I'v been playing since 1970. Started playing out around 1971. Been all over the USA and played all kinds of places. Live in los angeles since 1987 and played many places over the years. NEVER heard of certain drum sizes for different types of music and whoever says there are is full of error. NEVER had anyone tell me what drums to bring or not to bring. I sit much further back then a single 18" tom would be. If it comes down to a 14" because an 18" will not fit then that means the venue owner is a cheap so cheap i bet he doesnt pay much either. I cannot imagine drums,bass,keyboards,guitar and singer playing an excrement hole like that. Something is very wrong if an 18" will not fit. for decades 16" and 18" floor toms were the standard. No one has ever told me and never will tell me how top tune my drums. THE ONLY EXCEPTION is IF you are a "hired hand studio drummer". IF you are a studio then you need every size and type drum made and many different cymbals. Thats because the guy in charge of instrument sounds(usually the producer) will decide what the drums will sound like. I have produced and am still a producer for 2 artist.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Adding to a standard size set [ 22..12..13..16] thoughts,,suggestions..experiences ???
I had good results by adding a 14" floor tom to my 22/12/13/16 kit back in the 80's.
It not only allowed me to create two separate kit based around a 22x14/14x5 bikini kit (an audition/jam kit with the 12/14 combo and the performance kit with the matching 13/16 toms).
It also gives you a second 14" head that you can pair with your snare for build ups and to beef up the snare sound.
...and the 13/14 thing is not that big of a deal here. one is 9", the other is 14" deep. It's still a decent separation of pitches.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...and to play Devil's Advocate with myself, another way to look at this would be to swap the 13" rack tom with a 14" rack tom.
Then you'd have 12/14/16 tom combo.
Not only is it a little more even tonal separation than 12/13/16 (not that there's anything wrong with that combo, either), but if you gig a lot of different size clubs, you can afford yourself a nice little 16/12/14 second kit, by kicking the 22 out and using the 16 as a bass drum.
...so now, if what you're really after is a 4 tom setup, you add the 18 as the second floor tom.
Now if you kick the 12 out for a bit, you can have a sort of "Mini Bonzo kit" by utilizing the 22/14/16/18 setup.
Either way, your dilemma is solved because you ended up with both drums in question....22/12/14/16/18/snare drum.

Food for thought.

Elvis

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'v been playing since 1970. Started playing out around 1971. Been all over the USA and played all kinds of places. Live in los angeles since 1987 and played many places over the years. NEVER heard of certain drum sizes for different types of music and whoever says there are is full of error. NEVER had anyone tell me what drums to bring or not to bring. I sit much further back then a single 18" tom would be. If it comes down to a 14" because an 18" will not fit then that means the venue owner is a cheap so cheap i bet he doesnt pay much either. I cannot imagine drums,bass,keyboards,guitar and singer playing an excrement hole like that. Something is very wrong if an 18" will not fit. for decades 16" and 18" floor toms were the standard. No one has ever told me and never will tell me how top tune my drums. THE ONLY EXCEPTION is IF you are a "hired hand studio drummer". IF you are a studio then you need every size and type drum made and many different cymbals. Thats because the guy in charge of instrument sounds(usually the producer) will decide what the drums will sound like. I have produced and am still a producer for 2 artist.
- Clearly you lead a charmed life.

Louis mate

Reaction score
14 inch floor toms are amazing! Mine tunes itself, I barely do anything and it sounds great. My new setup is 10,12,14,16 and I RARELY use the 16. My other kit has 14 up, 16 and 18 down and I NEVER use the 18. It actually functions as the seat for my iPad/drum key/in ears. All in all, I’ve started to realize that a 14 has all the low end you need but with more attack and definition for faster handwork. How much you would actually use an 18 Depends largely on the style of music you play

Last edited:

Latest posts