Adding another cymbal

Martin Novom

Reaction score
I love my used Zildjian A Custom cymbals set up. I play mostly classic rock on my Ludwig Classic maple set up. Currently I have a 20" A Custom medium ride, 14" New Beats hi-hats, 18" A Custom Fast Crash
and 16" A Custom Fast Crash. I recently sought to extend my sonic range by adding a 12" A Custom Splash. When it arrived and I set it up, I was surprised at how clunky it sounded compared to the crash cymbals.
So now I am rethinking what I want instead. I checked out Zildjian's A Custom Fast Crash current assortment and the smallest they make is a 14." I don't know if in the past if they made a 12"
I am looking for suggestions as to what to add to my set up that will compliment the 18" and 16".

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Martin, welcome to Drumforum!
If you want a thin splashy sound, go down to a 10 inch. But if you're looking for a small crash sound, a 14-15 would work well. The 15 sounds much better than the 14 in my opinion.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20” a custom crashes are always nice. That would give you the power from the 20 and 18 and the splashy accent sound out of the 16.

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an A Custom 15 and 14 crash. As others have mentioned, the 15 sounds much more open than the 14. These are older versions, and I believe the newer ones are a different thickness now. But the 15 one is my favorite until it cracked. I still use it, but only for recording purposes since I know the crack will get larger over time.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
15" is about as small as I've ever gone and have them sound like crashes. Smaller and they either sound like splashes or some kind of in-between special effect sort of thing. At least that's how it's been for me.

Demonslayer

Reaction score
A silly and impertinent question - if you play mostly classic rock, ¿what is that small, splashy sound for?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are doing rock, go for a 20" crash, or maybe a 17 or a 19 that can double as a thin crash/ride.

When the A Customs came out, I had the 14 hats, and 14/16/18 crashes with a 20" ride. The 14" was killer and darker than my IAK 17 and 18 thins.....I got rid of both of those and kept the 14 for a long time.......even used as a hat for a bit....