Adding output power to a guitar amp?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I bought a tiny guitar amp that sounds great through a 2x12 speaker cabinet, but it would be even better if I could get it louder. If it had a preamp out jack, I’d connect it to the the power amp IN section of another guitar amp with more power and hook that up to the speaker cabinet. But it only has an effects send/return and speaker outs.

How can I make this thing louder?

I’m thinking I need a box that converts speaker level to line level, and then connect it to another power amp, and from that to the speaker cabinet.

How do I make this work?

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Effects Send is generally the Pre-amp out... so you could send that to another amps Power-amp Return and then to a speaker cab.

Or buy a bigger amp...

A + 1

same same as drums, or guitars, or bikes, or...

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are Direct boxes designed to go between the speaker output and the speaker, That would give you a signal to feed to another amp.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Effects Send is generally the Pre-amp out... so you could send that to another amps Power-amp Return and then to a speaker cab.

Or buy a bigger amp...

A + 1

same same as drums, or guitars, or bikes, or...
Since posting, I did more research and found out exactly what you said. The only issue is the little amp still needs a connection to a speaker load (or at least ohms) when using the effects send. So that means another cab or one with two inputs with the right ohm load.

It'll take some more figuring since I have two cabs but can't remember the speakers on one of them. Meanwhile, sitting down in front of the computer and playing through the interface/studio monitors covers me for now.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are Direct boxes designed to go between the speaker output and the speaker, That would give you a signal to feed to another amp.

That's another good solution and I have a countryman DI with a speaker connection. I mean to get a proper amp somewhere down the road and that should do it.