Adhering egg crate foam to cinder block walls?

gmiller598

Reaction score
My basement practice space in my house has my kit surrounded on 3 sides by concrete cinder block walls and the sound bounces around quite a bit. I'd like to get some egg crate foam to hang on the walls to minimize the echo. Any one have any idea on how I could mount it without leaving ugly marks on the walls if I ever need to take it down? I'm afraid some glues would leave chunks of foam behind.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where are you getting this egg crate foam? Is is made for this purpose or some generic packing foam? I ask because the stuff made for this purpose meets flammability standards whereas the packing foam generally does not.
The Station nightclub fire in Boston that killed a bunch of people was caused in large part by the club owners using the generic stuff which wasn't fire retardant and rapidly went up in flames when the band used some pyrotechnics on stage.

gmiller598

Reaction score
Where are you getting this egg crate foam? Is is made for this purpose or some generic packing foam? I ask because the stuff made for this purpose meets flammability standards whereas the packing foam generally does not.
The Station nightclub fire in Boston that killed a bunch of people was caused in large part by the club owners using the generic stuff which wasn't fire retardant and rapidly went up in flames when the band used some pyrotechnics on stage.
Probably something like this.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can use the spray on adhesive you use for crafts. It will adhere the foam and when it comes time to take it down it will come off in 1 piece meaning you can use the foam again. You can use mineral spirits or goo gone to clean your concrete wall. I used the spray on my sheet rock and had no issues putting it up or taking it down.

TPC

Reaction score
One way would be to apply the foam to 4x8 veneer panels (very light and cheap) then lean/hang those close to/touching the walls. Super clean and the panels can be moved should the need arise. Like if you needed some gobos for recording or whatever.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
What I did with my "studio" room was hang blackout curtains that cover most of one wall, plus regular curtains on the window. The wall in question has a collage of pictures hanging, so all that glass was reflecting back. You may need to do more than one depending on the size of the room and how bad it is. However, the difference between my studio and the room right next to it of the same size and shape is night and day. Even leaving the curtains "open" you can hear a big difference. Just walking out into the hallway you instantly start to hear the echo.

You'd still have holes from the curtain rods, but those patch easily. The other option if you're handy is to build large rectangular frames and add sound absorption. Lean those against the wall and you'll be amazed how much it cleans up the sound. Here's a nice video that explains it much better:

IMG_20190506_213703975.jpg

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those egg holders made from styrofoam are reflective . Try to get a hold of the cardboard ones . Better still, old rugs suspended from the floor joists will work as sound absorption, and sound proofing . Rubber backed carpets better still .

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Another trick I read about that I just remembered is to use a boom stand set up in the shape of a "T" and drape a synthetic filled comforter over it. Depending on how permanent you want it, you could attach to the wall or ceiling instead. You can pick up comforters all day long at the thrift store, just check for bedbugs...

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those egg holders made from styrofoam are reflective . Try to get a hold of the cardboard ones . Better still, old rugs suspended from the floor joists will work as sound absorption, and sound proofing . Rubber backed carpets better still .
He's not referring to actual egg cartons, Benny. He's talking about shaped foam rubber panels with egg shaped indention.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Isofix/Isofor.

Used it for about 12 years on my old drum room and had to remove and change it because it will deterriate over time.

it will absorb the direct sound and helps with the isolation a bit too

Latest posts