Advice: 16x12 or 16x14, or even 16x13 bass drum?

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been searching the market for a small bass drum to use with my Sakae Trilogy toms (10", 12", 13", 14" and 16" in gold sparkle finish). As a note: Sakae didn't make 16" Trilogy bass drums, hence this post.

I already have 18", 20" and 24" bass drums so the "bass drum" thing is covered. That is, I don't expect the new 16" to compete with these sizes. I need something for accents, a bop sound more than a thump. Below are my options. And a note on size.

1. Gretsch USA Custom "Jazz Legends" in 16x12. Available through Steve Maxwell. Downside: not the same gold sparkle finish as my toms. But would expect excellent build. With shipping and custom fees (I live in Sweden) this gets me close to my budget. Also, they have it in stock.

2. Custom order from Gretsch, in the finish I want. Downside: leadtime is long. Price is high.

3. Canopus Club Kit. 15x12 is an interesting size. However, I have no need for the 10" and 13" toms that comes with it. Also, this would set me back somwhere around 2650 EUR.

4. Custom build a 16x12, 16x13 or 16x14. I know a good builder here in Sweden that can get me what I want. Builds from Keller shells and has a nice touch to what he builds. Price point is good on this option.

5. Wait for something - a complete kit or just a bass drum - to turn up on ebay or Reverb, located here in Europe. For example, there is a "Jazz Legends" kit up for sale, but located in the USA. With shipping and custom fees, this would set me back around 2650 EUR. I've seen 16x12 USA Customs on ebay before.

Also, what do you think about size? I'm thinking 16x12 (or 16x13), never played one, but had a 16x14 and some other shallow drums that I liked. The builder I contacted said I should go for 16x14, for versatility and wider tuning range.

Thank you,

Fredrik

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
3. Canopus Club Kit. 15x12 is an interesting size. However, I have no need for the 10" and 13" toms that comes with it. Also, this would set me back somwhere around 2650 EUR.

Thank you,

Fredrik
If you want a 15x12 drum to experiment with for a bass drum, I have a 6 ply Chicago Ludwig marcher in that size that someone dressed up as a floor tom.
If you want it, PM me.

DSCN2659.JPG

...and don't worry, I have another tom setup I prefer to use with that kit, so these toms are expendable.

Elvis

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
If you want a 15x12 drum to experiment with for a bass drum, I have a 6 ply Chicago Ludwig marcher in that size that someone dressed up as a floor tom.
If you want it, PM me.

View attachment 397515

...and don't worry, I have another tom setup I prefer to use with that kit, so these toms are expendable.

Elvis
Thanks, will think about it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Sure, no problem.
Forgot to mention, I've heard a 15x13 Blaimere used as a bass drum and it had no problem filling a rather sizeable room.
Worked very nicely.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play two kits with 16 bass drums, both 14" deep. That's just the way it worked out. I use them for different styles so it's good.
This is an easy choice:
Option #4... the custom Swedish builder that's close to you. Much more of a hands on experience, you'd be more involved in the process, and get exactly what you want with no surprises. A keller shell will work great.
I'd order the 13x16...with re-rings. You could choose the edges and hardware you want too, plus you might be able to find the gold sparkle that matches your toms. Done.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I play two kits with 16 bass drums, both 14" deep. That's just the way it worked out. I use them for different styles so it's good.
This is an easy choice:
Option #4... the custom Swedish builder that's close to you. Much more of a hands on experience, you'd be more involved in the process, and get exactly what you want with no surprises. A keller shell will work great.
I'd order the 13x16...with re-rings. You could choose the edges and hardware you want too, plus you might be able to find the gold sparkle that matches your toms. Done.
Thx. Yes, this is the alternative I gravitate towards. Also thinking the 13x16 would be a nice ratio.

dje31

Reaction score
I have a 13x16 hanging floor tom that I wasn't using for its intended purpose. Got a DW riser cradle, put a towel in it, and, viola! Nice little core for a bebop kit.

More punch than boom, but it works...used it for an open mic jam session during a recent conference, and it did the trick, and easy to transport.

Attachments

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
It's the big diameter BD's that need to be short, too much air. Small BD's not enough air, so make it longer.
This. I play a Sonor Safari bass drum 16x16. The extra inches make the drum more stable for mounting toms and cymbals off it and the extra depth is welcome for more output.

The 16 by 26 would be slow, having played a 17.5 X 24 SonorLite it is sluggish

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Contact Josh at INDe. He might be able to do a Reso-Armor bass drum in a similar close to the Sakae.