Advice: 16x12 or 16x14, or even 16x13 bass drum?

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This. I play a Sonor Safari bass drum 16x16. The extra inches make the drum more stable for mounting toms and cymbals off it and the extra depth is welcome for more output.

The 16 by 26 would be slow, having played a 17.5 X 24 SonorLite it is sluggish
Slow? Not really if you have a fine pedal like a 1965 Speed King, and years of practice and experience.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd go 16x14 deep. I have a few of these that are great. Shallow won't give you much of a bass-frequency sound. I'd do #4 (Swede build) and also keep an eye out for #5 always. Key is the heads on this and Aquarian makes 16" super kick bass batter heads which is what I use on my 16's........

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Contact Josh at INDe. He might be able to do a Reso-Armor bass drum in a similar close to the Sakae.
Cool. Thx. Just checked webpage, about his use of ultra thin shells and low mass hardware - it sure is close the whole Sakae Trilogy philosophy.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool. Thx. Just checked webpage, about his use of ultra thin shells and low mass hardware - it sure is close the whole Sakae Trilogy philosophy.
I have a set and they sound fantastic. Josh is great to work with and the new Reso-Armor finishes are really nice and durable.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
That's what I was going to suggest as well, or pick up another matching Sakae floor tom to keep semi-permanently converted with a kit, to keep your original as a floor tom.
Thx for your input. Problem is the tom I have is 16x16 (to deep). Could of course try to find another 16 Sakae tom and have it cut down to 12 or 14 deep. At the moment, I think I’ll go for the option to have someone build me a bass drum. Going this route I will have more freedom when it comes to hardware options (for example I am not a fan of Gretsch bass drum legs, prefer smaller spurs).

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Thx for your input. Problem is the tom I have is 16x16 (to deep). Could of course try to find another 16 Sakae tom and have it cut down to 12 or 14 deep. At the moment, I think I’ll go for the option to have someone build me a bass drum. Going this route I will have more freedom when it comes to hardware options (for example I am not a fan of Gretsch bass drum legs, prefer smaller spurs).
I'd prefer a 14" depth over a 16" depth too. That's the size of the bass drum with my Breakbeats and I find it's a good size. 12" depth would be intriguing as well, but would make tom positioning more difficult unless you hang them off a stand.

bjisteve

Reaction score
I've had a 12x16 Gretsch factory bd, a couple of Gretsch 14x16 ft conversions, and am currently playing a Canopus RFM 12x15. You can get just the bd from Canopus. Sound was pretty similar on all of them. The Canopus is really light and easy to carry around. You'll be happy with any of the options. Interesting note: I've always used a coated Amb for both heads. The Canopus came with a coated Emperor batter. Those guys do so much R&D that I've never messed with it. Sounds great.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I've had a 12x16 Gretsch factory bd, a couple of Gretsch 14x16 ft conversions, and am currently playing a Canopus RFM 12x15. You can get just the bd from Canopus. Sound was pretty similar on all of them. The Canopus is really light and easy to carry around. You'll be happy with any of the options. Interesting note: I've always used a coated Amb for both heads. The Canopus came with a coated Emperor batter. Those guys do so much R&D that I've never messed with it. Sounds great.
Thanks. I decided to go for a custom built 16x14. Just more options (bearing edges and hardware).

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I have a set and they sound fantastic. Josh is great to work with and the new Reso-Armor finishes are really nice and durable.
I contacted him and got a reply. He can build a 16x12, no problem. The RealsoArmor finish would however be too far off from my gold sparkle wrap. It is something different. I’d rather have him build a whole kit :) But financially not an option.

ZiggyM

Reaction score
I contacted him and got a reply. He can build a 16x12, no problem. The RealsoArmor finish would however be too far off from my gold sparkle wrap. It is something different. I’d rather have him build a whole kit :) But financially not an option.

Is it Måns Tingberg?

Reactions: JDA

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thanks. I decided to go for a custom built 16x14. Just more options (bearing edges and hardware).
Congrats. I bet that drum will be a killer.
I believe the Trilogy shell was the classic Maple/Poplar/Maple layup.
Keller makes a similar shell based on their 6 ply.
Check out their Vintage Maple series.
I'm assuming Maple inner and outer with 4 thin middle plies of Poplar.
If you want a little more bottom end, opt for the Vintage Mahogany.

6 ply Keller is approximately the same thickness as traditional 3 ply M/P/M shell.

Elvis

Latest posts