Advice determining the resale value on a Gretsch BK kit with a slightly damaged tom?

nmosko

Reaction score
Thought of letting go of this set. Only thing is that while the floor and kick are in excellent/near-mint condition, there’s a botched external muffler job on the 13x9. No effect on sound and a minimal effect on looks since it’s on the opposite side from the badge. The drums are high-end (Gretsch Broadkasters with laquer finish). I recognize that my potential selling price would likely need to be astronomically lower. If I were to move to sell these, how in the world should I account for that 13” tom? Should I patch it myself or leave it as is? Just looking for advice on how to factor that in when determining a resale price.

Also, I’d just like to point out that it wasn’t me . just wanted to make that clear lol! Here’s a few photos before patching it up, re-painting, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Better this happened to the rack tom than the other drums, which are far more important. I'd say that drum would be about 1/2 the price of one that was undrilled. The other drums are worth the same imo. If you have the skills to fill those extra holes and put the correct muffler assembly back on I'd say do it. Most of the people considering the value of your kit will just decide what the other two are worth and add in a small amount for the rack tom. We have no idea on finish, sizes, year to value the kit.

Last edited:

nmosko

Reaction score
Better this happened to the rack tom than the other drums, which are far more important. I'd say that drum would be about 1/2 the price of one that was undrilled. The other drums are worth the same imo. If you have the skills to fill those extra holes and put the correct muffler assembly back on I'd say do it. Most of the people considering the value of your kit will just decide what the other two are worth and add in a small amount for the rack tom. We have no idea on finish, sizes, year to value the kit. If they are all unfinished like the rack tom, it's much less of big deal since the entire kit has already been altered.
the rest of the kit is excellent/near mint. 2019 manufacturing date. 13x9, 16x16 and 22x16. Laquer finish. Here’s a photo of everything set up for a recording. So the rack is the only thing with any imperfecroons, but I’ve no real idea how that affects the overall bottom line.

Attachments

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would sell it as-is instead of repairing it yourself. Even though it is pretty noticeable, it might not be that big a deal to a buyer, especially if it's reflected in the asking price.