Advice for a Drummer with an Injured Arm

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Don't accept living with pain at your age. As others have said, it gets worse as you get older, and it gets harder and harder to heal. Take care of it now. I'm 53 and in pretty good shape, but when I get an injury (I play and ref ice hockey), it takes much longer to heal. Aches and pains are coming in your future, no matter what you do. Don't give them a headstart.
Then what am I supposed to do?

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Don't accept living with pain at your age. As others have said, it gets worse as you get older, and it gets harder and harder to heal. Take care of it now. I'm 53 and in pretty good shape, but when I get an injury (I play and ref ice hockey), it takes much longer to heal. Aches and pains are coming in your future, no matter what you do. Don't give them a headstart.
During the last year I was playing and doing a lot more drumming wise than almost ever before. Tuning, lifting drums around, and playing. My injury was obviously aggravated and I talked about it with my primary care doctor about maybe getting surgery after the pandemic. So I have definitely thought about it a lot this year.

drums1225

Reaction score
Go to as many doctors as necessary to find a remedy. If it's surgery, get it sooner than later. If it's PT, do it. Exhaust all options before accepting pain. Your 50, 60, and 70 year old self will thank you.

Tuning your drums differently to deal with arm pain is like changing the radio station in your car because you have a flat tire.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Go to as many doctors as necessary to find a remedy. If it's surgery, get it sooner than later. If it's PT, do it. Exhaust all options before accepting pain. Your 50, 60, and 70 year old self will thank you.

Tuning your drums differently to deal with arm pain is like changing the radio station in your car because you have a flat tire.
Well when I said tuning I meant that I was experimenting with all kinds of tuning-not just to suit my injury. I got a tunebot last May and was trying all kinds of different stuff. So all that lifting of the drums and using my hands to hit with the stick near each tension rod so much probably wasn’t good.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surgery often works. Had both shoulders, right knee, and recently trigger finger.
In all cases after lots of PT, I’m better
All put drumming on hold for a while, but eventually I was glad I did them.
Repeat, eventually
While healing, I’d play one handed or one footed to keep active.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Surgery often works. Had both shoulders, right knee, and recently trigger finger.
In all cases after lots of PT, I’m better
All put drumming on hold for a while, but eventually I was glad I did them.
Repeat, eventually
While healing, I’d play one handed or one footed to keep active.

Exactly

I just had cubital tunnel surgery on left hand and neck fusion surgery last summer

Rehab and healing took time but I’m so glad I’m doing it

I mean

It couldn’t make it worse

And modern orthopedic surgery
Is so much less invasive than it used to be and is only getting better

Uc San Diego has great docs

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Exactly

I just had cubital tunnel surgery on left hand and neck fusion surgery last summer

I mean

Yeah I know UC San Diego has good docs. My brother is a doctor there. An ER doctor. But I’m not ready to do anything right now. Maybe when all this pandemic crap is over.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Exactly

I mean

I have lots of tools to treat it. In my head. Just yesterday, I was watching a video on YouTube of this guy who’s massage therapist or whatever and had all these great triggerpoints to rub on your forearm. I did some of them and it felt good. In my old band, if I was in pain I would jog around the house and do jumping jacks which got my blood flowing and made me feel better, too. There’s tons of videos online on YouTube that talk about exercises or stretches or massage self techniques you can do. Here’s the one I was watching yesterday.

Last edited:

petereather

Reaction score
Self employed roofer quit drumming 25 plus years ago carpel tunnel took injections to Finnish my gigs for the year put kit away , just sold company got carpel tunnel surgery. Fix trigger finger 1 month ago got the kit back out starting band again wrist and finger is coming along good Drumming sucks .

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read in a book years ago four steps that supposedly can get get you anything you want in life. It’s based on the law of attraction. They are:

1. Identify what you don’t want.
2. From that, identify what you DO want.
3. Get into the feeling place of what you want.
4. Expect, listen, and allow it to happen.
#3 Doesn’t make any sense to me , care to elaborate?

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
#3 Doesn’t make any sense to me , care to elaborate?
Basically, how would you feel if you already had what you wanted? I’m guessing you’d feel good so feel good! Pretend, imagine. I think the simplest thing I’ve heard to do from this law of attraction stuff is just try to feel good as much as you can and as often as you can. And by feeling good you attract good things.

Sun Drum

Reaction score
So I’ve had a bad right arm for almost 20 years now. I hurt it by lifting weights and drumming too much. I probably need surgery but I don’t want to do it. My question is, is there any way to tune your drums so they are extra sensitive and don’t require a lot of arm effort so I maybe won’t aggravate my arm as much when I play? If I have to tune them up high like jazz style that’s OK. Also, my drums have primarily die-cast hoops and my snare has the DW Truehoops so I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not.
I feel you - been in your situation and I got a very good solution for you my Brother in Arms!
During my 45 years professional music and drumming career about 15 years ago I got huge problem with my hands and had to stop playing for a few months.
That was very frustrating time for me-I was considering quitting playing drums for good-but I was able very efficient solution - SMARTSTIX - and because of that invention and back to business and playing better than ever!
Funny enough, as in your case, my right hand gave me the most problems to recover-and I can walk you through the process if you decided to use my SMARSTIX and new training system I have developed successfully and uses right now.
You welcome to contact me directly for more info or visit my website at www.LIVECA7.com as well as my YouTube channel - www.YouTube.com/c/SUNDRUMTV or email- [email protected]
Looking forward to hear from you and help you my Friend!
❤

Attachments

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Do you have Myotherapists in America?

If you do, I recommend you at least give one a try.

The only reason why I am seeing a Physical Therapist for my shoulder injury is because my Doctor referred me, so it is covered by our national health scheme and is almost free.

But I still think a good Myotherapist is much better... and I have had incredible results from their dry needling technique.

Unfortunately Myotherapy is not covered here so is full price.