Advice Needed on Baring Edge problem

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I'm working on restoring an early 70s Ludwig kit. The full details are elsewhere on the forums for those that don't already know about it.

I've come across an issue with one of the baring edges that I need some advice on. One of the edges has a large "dent" in it.
20200531_100459.jpg
20200531_100531.jpg

I don't think I really want to sand the whole edge down and re-cut it as that would take off quite a bit of wood and change the dimensions of the drum.

I wondered if anyone has used a wood putty/filler for anything like this and if so, what kind works best?

Any other ideas are welcome as well.

Thanks

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Its so small that anything that you use to “fix” it might not hold up over time... but an epoxy putty might work

ThomasL

Reaction score
I've used two-component (epoxy?) wood filler and it has held up fine.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How much wood would you actually have to take off if you re-cut?
I feel like I would never be able to get them perfect with putty.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
PC Woody two part epoxy should work just fine. Build up the damaged area and let it dry. Once it is dry stick some sandpaper to a piece of plate glass or mirror and rotate it to flatten the epoxy with the rest of the edge. You don't need to put much sand paper on the glass. Just enough to flatten the epoxy even with the edge. Then use a sanding block or small flat piece of wood wrapped with sandpaper to work it down to the same shape as the surrounding edge.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
PC Woody two part epoxy should work just fine. Build up the damaged area and let it dry. Once it is dry stick some sandpaper to a piece of plate glass or mirror and rotate it to flatten the epoxy with the rest of the edge. You don't need to put much sand paper on the glass. Just enough to flatten the epoxy even with the edge. Then use a sanding block or small flat piece of wood wrapped with sandpaper to work it down to the same shape as the surrounding edge.
THANKS!
This is the type of info I was hoping for.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if it was mine,. I would recut the entire edge. I think your putting a bandaid on it. it may or may not last if you use filler..