Advice needed Re-ring repair Slingerland

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guys I bought a Slingerland kit a few weeks ago and I've started to strip it down for a deep clean/ polish new heads etc... I discovered some slight ring separation on the batter side of the mounted 13" tom. Slight, but it's there. Can anyone recommend a wood glue with a needle style applicator tip so I'm not making an enormous mess on the bearing edge? Also the interior maple ply seems quite dry to me these are not chocolate milk interiors. Has anyone ever oiled the inner surface to freshen it up/ preserve it? Any advice would be appreciated this will be my first attempt at either of these issues. Thanks!

LarryJ

Reaction score
I have used hypodermic needles from a drug store. Have also used injectors as shown in previous reply. Both work. Hypos will go into smaller cracks, but are hard to get thick glue through.

And I oil the interiors of my old Slingerlands every few years. I have been using lemon oil recently. Apply with a paint brush, let dry.

LarryJ

Reaction score
Also wait a week or two after gluing the cracks before putting on heads. Often stabilizing one area of the shell will cause other areas to separate. I did one Slingy kit that took three rounds of repair before they stabilized.

maxb2k

Reaction score
It’s my understanding that as wood ages and dries out it becomes more résonant. Wouldn’tapplying oil to the shells interiors defeat this?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For most re-ring gaps a 20 gauge needle (1/2" to 1" tip) will work ok. The smaller 18 and 16 gauge syringes don't flow well unless you dilute or use a thin wood glue. You can buy finger nail "glitter" syringes pretty cheap - $1 per syringe. For a 1" deep re-ring the 1/2" needle has worked ok for me. Try to loosen up and remove as much old glue as you can as that old stuff can make harder to compress the gap with a 2" to 3" C Clamp.

Titebond 2 wood glue gives plenty of time to work and doesn't run as much as regular wood glue like Elmers. I use a 20 or 22 gauge needle and it flows fine. I've gone to a 18 or 16 gauge needle but had to thin the Titebond with water a bit.

My last thread on this subject

Last edited:

Latest posts