Advice needed

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi experts

l have a cool rare snare drum coming in soon - A Gretsch 90's Broadkaster brass drum - and it will include an extra badge that might fit with the drum better aesthetically. More monochromatic you could say.
Is it easy to switch a badge like that or will l need a new grommet? Never tried this before.
Thanks for helping !

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You will definitely need a new grommet. No doubt. And, in order to install it properly, you will need a grommet installation tool. Precision Drum offers a very basic one for $5.00 that will simply flare the inner grommet. You will need to use a small ball peen hammer to complete the flare process. (I used this tool to recover an entire kit, and it worked fine as long as you are handy with a ball peen. Just be sure to surround the back of the grommet with a couple layers of masking tape to avoid marking the shell. Easy.)

A tool that will properly flare the grommet on the inside of the shell is available on ebay and costs about $50.

GeeDeeEmm

barryabko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There might be an imprint in the coated surface from the edge of original badge. If so, some of it will be visible with the new badge installed.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
What a cool looking snare, surprised I never saw that particular model before.
Yeah, get the grommet tool and make the swap.
Good luck, that's a unique find!

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for helping !
Good points !
Might cause more hassle and slight damage replacing the badge than makes sense to do so. So... might stay with the original. Also the tools and parts are extra costs...so might wait with that.
Yes this one is assembled from original parts and l have a twin brother to this one which is stock but the shell is slightly different. Matte black coated. Pretty rare ;]
Thanks!

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
; ]

Looks cool and outlandish either way right... ; ]

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why does it have the stop sign badge on it?

Reactions: JDA

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good question with a simple answer probably...

The seller says he assembled it from NOS parts [took him years because these pats aren't that common]. I'm guessing the only "modern" parts are the strainer and butt [thankfully...because these newer ones have drum key screws and not the horrific Flathead screws] and the badge, which is a mid 2000's badge[?]. Maybe he got the shell without any badge and added the stop sign/drop G badge and later got the square badge. And now he includes it....
I'm not too worried... when l'll have the drum in my hands l'll see if it's a manageable job for me. Might give it to a drum builder/repairman to do. Or maybe keep it as is.

Main point is l love the look of it but the sound even more... just love the one l have which is very similar. This one actually might sound different than mine. Different shell coating. More similar to the hoops' coating. Mine sounds just terrific.... that sweet focused dry brass Gretsch thing... and 6x14 is really a versatile drum............ The coating dries and focuses the ring just a bit in a very nice way

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have this drum in COB - I love it! I bought just the shell (square badge so '81?) and needed lugs. I decided to install tube lugs I had laying around, and it used the two outside holes, so there are 2 holes "under" each lug. I had the modern throw and butt plate. It's a great size drum, I added the vintage muffler, drum key holder, and die casts for a nice crisp sound with no ring. Coated emperor over ambassador and 20 wire snare.

I am sure you will like it. The only issue with that finish is that it will chip so head's up on rimshots.......

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this drum in COB - I love it! I bought just the shell (square badge so '81?) and needed lugs. I decided to install tube lugs I had laying around, and it used the two outside holes, so there are 2 holes "under" each lug. I had the modern throw and butt plate. It's a great size drum, I added the vintage muffler, drum key holder, and die casts for a nice crisp sound with no ring. Coated emperor over ambassador and 20 wire snare.

I am sure you will like it. The only issue with that finish is that it will chip so head's up on rimshots.......
I have 2 Gretsch 5x14 COB snares. 1981 10 lug and 1971 8 lug. Love them !
I know about the coating wearing off... l don't care it does... its ok with me ; ]

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have four 5x14 4160's - 1 RB (no bead), 1 RB (bead), and 2 SSB's - all 8 lugs. The square badge one from '81 is a 6x14....here it is before I put the die casts on. Note the extra "vent holes" - but I have a weak spot for tube lugs so it's cool.....

20180911_211845.jpg

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
gretsch BKs 016.jpg gretsch BKs 017.jpg gretsch BKs 018.jpg
Why does it have the stop sign badge on it?
My Thought exactly..
Someone must have put the Stop Sign badge on to match the rest of their drums.

You did a fantastic job getting the SqB back
(and it's the proper one w/ USA on either side

Last edited:

Latest posts