header.nohb.html

Advice on building drum riser for studio

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey everyone,I am going to help a friend build a drum riser for his home studio,and have a few questions.
The room is about 14 feet by about 20 feet.

What dimensions and shape would be most efficient?

How high off the floor should it be for best sound/ recording?

Any advice on best /economic materials and plan for build would also be appreciated.

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Best advice is, dont have a seam in the middle of the riser. Make sure the kit will fit on one sheet of plywood. Ive seen many risers where the kit is sitting on a joint / seam and over time the boards move causing the kick and bass pedal to do crazy things. Good luck.

Blisco

Reaction score
Six inches is enough to decouple the kit. No reason to go higher in studio.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, I would ask WHY are you building a riser in a studio? Why introduce the low frequency resonance issues associated with a riser? If this is just a pratice or teaching studio and it's for space management or appearance that's one thing, but if it's a tracking room, I would encourage you to think the need through a bit more.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simon Philips always plays on a piece of plywood , no riser .

barryabko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fat Drummer said:
For me, I would ask WHY are you building a riser in a studio? Why introduce the low frequency resonance issues associated with a riser? If this is just a pratice or teaching studio and it's for space management or appearance that's one thing, but if it's a tracking room, I would encourage you to think the need through a bit more.
I agree. A drum riser will only add sonic negatives IMHO.

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
Most of the studios I have recorded at did not use risers at all...the set up was directly on the floor.

However, if you must build a riser you should use 3/4" T & G underlayment plywood. The interlocking seam will prevent any seam separation. Glue it and screw it!

skywkr2

Reaction score
I built a riser for my basement to keep the drums out of flooding basements. I bought several resin pallets (Uline.com) Actually, I bought a six pack of them cause it was cheaper. Then I cut two of them in half and bought to4x8 sheets of fiberboard and laid them on top---it was easy