Advice on buying a NEW Ludwig Classic Maple Kit - Downbeat or Fab 22?

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had it with the finicky tuning of my vintage 70s Ludwig drums that I've struggled with for 15 years. After getting edges redone, countless head combinations, checking the hoops, Drum Dial and Tune-Bot machinations, installing INDe mounts, I'm convinced they are just duds. When the phase of the moon is right and the room cooperates they sound great but it's just too iffy. I put them up on CL today - LINK. I plan on buying a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit in Sky Blue Pearl. I've already sold around $1100 in the last 3 months of "excess inventory" plus plan to sell some more and will have net zero expense after selling this kit. Like an old GF or ex-wife, there are reasons why we broke up so I'm not worried about regrets. I play mostly unmiked low-volume rock gigs these days. I like the idea of getting a Downbeat set from a weight perspective but am concerned that they won't have the oomph and lower tuning range of a Fab 22. Seems like a lot of folks are opting for the Downbeat configuration. Seeking advice for getting one over the other with regards to tuning range. Also, advice on where to buy online. Interstate quoted me further discount from MAP via online chat but 2 months delivery. I imagine other retailers would do a similar deal but not ready to pull the trigger today so I don't want to exercise them just yet. Thanks!

Last edited:

dexter74

Reaction score
All I can say is get the 22". Most of my gigs are unmic-ed and my 20s" would just get buried. The band is not crazy loud, either. All my kits were vintage.

I now play a 22" on all the shows and am very glad I switched. If I stumble across a matching 24" for cheap, that's next. Good luck!

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
USA Gretsch aren't even on your radar; they need tuning only umm ah err.. every 20 years or so...

Tanabata

Reaction score
Feel your pain. I call my 1970 Ludwig kit "Lucy"......... because she never lets me kick the ball, and I want to believe in Ludwig.

I'm not going to get anything new by Ludwig... considering something else, maybe Yamaha Hybrid Maple, or just sticking with my 1950's drums.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All I can say is get the 22". Most of my gigs are unmic-ed and my 20s" would just get buried. The band is not crazy loud, either. All my kits were vintage.

I now play a 22" on all the shows and am very glad I switched. If I stumble across a matching 24" for cheap, that's next. Good luck!
This kit originally had a 20 and I bought a matching 22 for the reasons you describe. But things have improved with modern drums and I've heard of folks saying the Ludwig CM in DB config has all the ooph they need. Hard to believe, that's why I'm asking.

dexter74

Reaction score
This kit originally had a 20 and I bought a matching 22 for the reasons you describe. But things have improved with modern drums and I've heard of folks saying the Ludwig CM in DB config has all the ooph they need. Hard to believe, that's why I'm asking.
I guess that makes sense. I haven't played a "modern" 20". I'd imagine it'd have more oooomph.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How much $ would you save looking at Ludwig Neusonic

I did look at them. I can afford the CM, I don't care for the wraps on the Neusonic. At 64 yrs young this is the last new kit I will ever buy and the Neusonic is too much of a compromise. My life has been riddled with compromises due to price, luckily the CM is in my budget.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the low end I get from my Ludwig 16x16 floor tom and 14x22 bass drum. It's not a Classic Maple kit but I prefer these sizes for rock much more than my previous kit that had a 14x20 and 14x14.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the low end I get from my Ludwig 16x16 floor tom and 14x22 bass drum. It's not a Classic Maple kit but I prefer these sizes for rock much more than my previous kit that had a 14x20 and 14x14.
Was this a vintage kit or modern. I have first hand knowledge of 16 and 22 vs. 14 and 20 but I'm looking for feedback on modern drums. Thanks!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was this a vintage kit or modern. I have first hand knowledge of 16 and 22 vs. 14 and 20 but I'm looking for feedback on modern drums. Thanks!
This is a 60's Ludwig kit so it may not be representative of what one might expect from a modern Classic Maple kit.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a 60's Ludwig kit so it may not be representative of what one might expect from a modern Classic Maple kit.
Apples to oranges but thanks anyway. I intended this thread to be posted in General, it's likely confusing that it's in Vintage Venue.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Apples to oranges but thanks anyway. I intended this thread to be posted in General, it's likely confusing that it's in Vintage Venue.
If I were looking at a new Classic Maple kit, I would strongly consider getting a 15" floor tom as a nice compromise between the more common 14" and 16" options. One of the best features of the CM line is the vast array of sizes available and not being limited to the typical pre-configured kits.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a classic maple kit in the downbeat configuration + a 16" and it works very well for me. 20" inch bass drums have always worked fine for me and are my preference (although I do own several 22s and a few 24s). I have vintage Ludwig sets as well and, while I can generally get them sounding good, everything is just easier to tune with the CM set.

Although if I were to be in the market for another brand new set I'd take a serious look at INDe drums.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a classic maple kit in the downbeat configuration + a 16" and it works very well for me. 20" inch bass drums have always worked fine for me and are my preference (although I do own several 22s and a few 24s). I have vintage Ludwig sets as well and, while I can generally get them sounding good, everything is just easier to tune with the CM set.

Although if I were to be in the market for another brand new set I'd take a serious look at INDe drums.
INDe was seriously on my radar and I previously thought I would some day buy one if I was in the market. But now that I'm in the market I'm a sucker for the Ludwig esthetic, something that has resonated with me since I was a teen. Those lugs, script logo, Keystone badge, yeah baby. I know, shallow.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
INDe was seriously on my radar and I previously thought I would some day buy one if I was in the market. But now that I'm in the market I'm a sucker for the Ludwig esthetic, something that has resonated with me since I was a teen. Those lugs, script logo, Keystone badge, yeah baby. I know, shallow.
Well. I said I'd take a serious look at INDe drums... but I can't guarantee that I wouldn't fall under the same siren spell for some new Ludwigs or Gretsch drums. I really respect what Josh is doing with INDe, but the heritage brands also still have a strong pull on my psyche.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
With modern heads, you can get a lot more sound out of smaller drums. Just a coated PS3 batter and smooth white reso. If you port your reso, I would get the bigger bass drum.

If you like mixing modern and vintage, order through Steve Maxwell. I've got my natural maple CM Downbeat built out to 1960's specs. Rail mount, folding spurs, and cymbal and tom mounts on center.

-Ryan

Latest posts