Advice on cracked ride.

Spooky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Update :)
So I sent it down to a guy who fixes cymbals and also makes jewellery from totally past it cymbals, it come back yesterday (I’m back in the studio tomorrow!)
It sounds just as it did to me, maybe a tiny bit drier but not that much it sounds different.
Very reasonable £ wise too,
Spooky.

Attachments

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like a heck of a job...

Just to add, my understanding in putting a relief cut between the "holes" at each end of the crack was that it would alleviate tension that would be transferred along the crack as the rubbed together? With the relief cut this tension is removed and there is a better chance that the crack will not jump the holes on either end and start cracking along that same radius again.

I just did this last night to an old 16" Zildjian I have. Followed the crack with a sharpie, drilled two 1/4" holes just beyond each end and opened it up with a Dremel blade. Just need to buff out the edges. Took away the "sizzle" and didn't change the character of it at all.

pic:

mbettis

Reaction score
Ah. That's the cymbal somebody took a hammer to. I bet that dude cracked it, and it just took awhile to completely let go and get big.

Matt

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Spookster-have a great time in the studio...glad you could save the ride. While their are some great repair folks out there...with some practice (and of course some DIY interest) you can fix it yourself...maybe even make the Jewelry. Looking forward to hearing your recording

Spooky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah. That's the cymbal somebody took a hammer to. I bet that dude cracked it, and it just took awhile to completely let go and get big.

Matt
Maybe , I don’t know it’s entire history because it was gifted

Spooky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Spookster-have a great time in the studio...glad you could save the ride. While their are some great repair folks out there...with some practice (and of course some DIY interest) you can fix it yourself...maybe even make the Jewelry. Looking forward to hearing your recording
Thanks
Day two today, had 11 mics on my kit yesterday, never had so many before, just the vocals and a bit of synth to do now.
Spooky

Latest posts