Advice on Drum Throne

aznathul

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a entry level 40 euro drum throne. My problem is it's max height isn't as tall as it should be which causes my legs to be positioned perpendicular at a 90 degree angle which starts to hurt 5 minutes after I start playing.

I think I need to be a little higher to be able to comfortable use the bass pedal. Any recommendations for a good value throne that has options for taller heights?

PXL_20210610_130032626.jpg

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I need to sit high due to a right pelvis that is made up of plates and hardware along with a replaced hip. I use a Gilbralter B9608 base w/a Sound Seat. The base on its own goes 20”-28”. Sound Seats are thick and super comfortable. Best seat I’ve ever used.
If you’re happy with your seat just get the base but make sure diameters match up.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
+1 on the Gibraltar 9608, great seat. I have the 9608os, which has a big moto style seat. Nice nitro base, great feet, extremely comfortable seat. Easily beats the Roc n Soc. Imho the best throne is the one you don’t even know is there, that’s what the 9608os is for me. Very high quality, mines been going strong for years with no real signs of wear at all.

Don’t cheap out on a throne, you’re only shortchanging yourself. It’s your foundation, it’s where you play from, it’s important. You will be astounded at the difference in feel and your practice and play will be greatly improved. Let’s say the 9608 is $200 - that’s $20 a year for the decade it will (easily) serve you! You’re worth it.

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the roc n sock extended throne w/ a saddle seat. Never once gave my seat another thought in last 6-7 years. It’s perfect for me.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gibraltar Softee or Ahead Spinal Thrones are great, I own both. That said Pork Pie and
Roc ‘n Soc make great thrones too, or at least they did last time I used them.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to sit higher, I'm just a little over 6 foot but I have long legs and arms. The arms part works out ok but the legs... and snare height and all that.

I have a couple of thrones I got along the way but I picked up two stools, on wheels, doc office stools. Almost high enough but not quite after I pulled the caster wheels off of them. So I stacked some random planks of wood I had laying around to get me up there and ordered some and ordered some caster extension thingys that might work without those stupid planks under me, we'll see.

I guess what I'm getting at is play around with it, see what you can do with what you have.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like others have posted, just bite the bullet and get the one your butt loves. In addition to having a profound effect on technique, the longer you can stand to sit (see what I did there?), the longer you will practice, and the more you will improve. You'll also play better by the end of the set at gigs. Furthermore, a $150 euro throne that lasts forever saves money in the long run over junk you have to keep replacing.

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need to sit high due to a right pelvis that is made up of plates and hardware along with a replaced hip. I use a Gilbralter B9608 base w/a Sound Seat. The base on its own goes 20”-28”. Sound Seats are thick and super comfortable. Best seat I’ve ever used.
If you’re happy with your seat just get the base but make sure diameters match up.
+1

dingaling

Reaction score
I’ve been using a Yamaha throne since 96’. The pleather top has some tips but works great. Nice and firm.