Advice on Gretsch bass drum mount...

abracadabra

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So years ago I bought this old Midnight Blue Pearl bass drum , a 60's Gretsch round badge 20 X 14. I bought it for a good price locally, played/toured/recorded with it before eventually selling it to a friend.
Anyway now my friend wants to get rid of it and I've always wanted it back so....
Because it is an orphan bass, and the price of real Gretsch stuff from that era is so pricey, I thought I would just order two Keller maple shells, a 12 X 8 and 14 X 14, and wrap them to match using the Vintage Sky Blue Pearl which is a pretty close match. I've got all the Grestch hardware for the toms, the lugs at least. I won't use mufflers ( I NEVER muffle a drum unless I'm in the studio) and I'll probably use some old brass Ludwig hoops , I mean I'm not trying to fool anyone that this is a Gretsch copy or anthing!
So here's the catch: the bass drum is all original except someone long ago added a Ludwig tom mount, not the rail mount but the post that goes in the bass drum, later 60's/70's style.
Since this is gonna be a custom kit, and I'm the kinda guy who likes to mount the tom on the bass (I'm old school!), I've been toying with the idea of just putting the ludwig mount on and then adding the appropriate tom mount to the tom and there you go, all done!

Thats not too bad right? I'm only using existing holes, and this is a players kit anyway...so....?

eyedoc

Reaction score
I don't think this qualifies for the "use a drill, go to jail" condemnation. That applied to the original sinner. The holes are already there, use 'em. Make some lemonade and enjoy.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I believe that the (modern day,) Gretsch tom post will fit in the ludwig mount anyway. Also, you could get Gretsch drums from that era, complete. Fork's usually has those orphans. Sam Bacco could even refurbish them and put the wrap on them that you want , and they would look almost like new.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the ludwig base is 1" there are many choices for the tom post you use. As mentioned, Gretsch uses a 1" post and Gibralter has one too.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Use the current Gretsch ball mount and then put the appropriate bracket on the tom. I did that for a Gretsch SSB set I have and it workes great. The drums were orphans that I picked up (all the same factory color and vintage). The bass drum had the bracket for Gretsch's double tom mount plate which will interchange with a better Ludwig plate without any new holes. My small tom had a Ludwig bracket already on it (although in your case you could use a Gretsch one or anything else that will work....or use a RIMS if you don't want to drill the shell) so I got a new ball "L" rod with a 9.5mm rod (Gretsch uses a 12.7mm as their standard).

There are some other options too which share the 1" down tube but I like this one. It works well, didn't cost a fortune (ebay), and says "Gretsch" right on it.

Latest posts