Advice on integrating Roland Spd-sx se into acoustic rig please!

Skydog6653

Reaction score
I've been told I need to modernize by bringing sampling “into the mix”! I picked up the Roland unit but don't know where to begin. Is there good tutorials out there that will speed up the learning curve for me? Thanks!

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Skydog-what exactly do you want to do w/it?

Many years ago I used an octapd w/my acoustic kit and run thru a drum machine (it didn't have on board sounds) and reverb unit.

If you're going to play along to samples/beats I'd suggest buying a cheap on/off pedal like a guitarist uses to route the guitar to a tuner...that way if you ever fall off the pattern you can just shut it off. I also used a pair of closed headphones to hear the machine and not be dependant on it in the mix.

We also put two pads on a stand for the singer and bass player to use...timbales/percussion...

I think having a goal of what your trying to achieve will help you move in the right direction. For example I'm trying to learn Abelton...a lot to learn but I'm trying to come up with a beat/music for a rapping friend...and some music to go with some lyrics I've written....and some patterns I'd like to drum to...

Moonman

Reaction score
I've been told I need to modernize by bringing sampling “into the mix”! I picked up the Roland unit but don't know where to begin. Is there good tutorials out there that will speed up the learning curve for me? Thanks!
I jumped back into the hybrid drumming world a little over a year ago. I'd be happy to help if you're able to let us know what the others ask... simply, what do you want to do? Run backing tracks? Add specific samples or effects (one shots) you can trigger from the SPD-SX along with your kit? That's where I started and it added a lot to our music. Backing tracks proved to be a little more complicated as they involve everyone's participation in following a click or at least understanding the track well enough to know where they are at all times -- they're completely unforgiving and don't listen and adapt like a real musician will. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk about it. There are a number of sites where you can obtain free samples (or full sample packs for a fee from some pros). Cymatics (tried to insert hyperlink but don't think it worked, so the url is https://cymatics.fm ) has been a great resource and I That sound -- ( https://www.iwantthatsound.com ) also has some good free stuff. Don't mess with any sites that don't appear to have serious credibility; I accidentally downloaded some malware at some point so be careful with that. Let me know if I can help. Best of luck - you're going to have a blast!

Skydog6653

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'd like to keep it simple to start. For instance, we'd like to do “Won't Get Fooled Again” and sample the intro. I don't foresee doing any looping, at least not yet. For starters I'll committ the manual to memory and explore some of those sites listed above. Thanks, again!

Moonman

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'd like to keep it simple to start. For instance, we'd like to do “Won't Get Fooled Again” and sample the intro. I don't foresee doing any looping, at least not yet. For starters I'll committ the manual to memory and explore some of those sites listed above. Thanks, again!
One feature that's worked well for me since I'm not running backing tracks or too many samples per song is changing the Pad settings to control the click and change the kits. I use Pad 1 (upper left) to turn the click on and off in my phones and Pad 2 to move to the next Kit. Create a kit chain with your set list and corresponding bpm, and you're all set to give yourself a quick reminder of the tempo if you need to and use your SPD SX in place of your set list. Have fun and let us know what you come up with. I'm eager to hear tips from you, and others as well.

Skydog6653

Reaction score
Do you guys run everything out from the Roland, or run outs to a small onboard mixer? I'm looking at a small Behringer xynex 802.

Moonman

Reaction score
Do you guys run everything out from the Roland, or run outs to a small onboard mixer? I'm looking at a small Behringer xynex 802.
I run two lines out of the Roland and use a Behringer mixer similar to what you're looking at.
One from the Master Out to FOH for the sound guy and one from the Headphone spot to my mixer. Get a line back in to the Behringer mixer from FOH, plug in your phones or in-ears to the mixer and you're all set.