Advice on nesting drums' re-ring / alignment ring

egw

Reaction score
I built my first nesting kit around 1998 or 1999, back when I still lived in Manhattan. That one left my hands years ago, and this past summer vacation, I spent a good chunk of time working on a new one. The 16" bass drum in particular was formerly a Keller-shell FT from another kit that I built that wasn't being used.

I cut it down from 16x16 to 13x16 and used an inch and a half of the cut-off as an "alignment ring" at the joint. I used a ton of clamps when gluing it so as to get it as tight as possible, like I would do when gluing in standard re-rings. The problem is now that getting the male end into the female end takes some work as it's a very tight fit. (if only we all had this problem...)

For those who have, or have built nesting kits, has this ever been a problem for you? I'm thinking of either taking it to the router and adding a roundover to the ring to make it easier to slide in (so it's not a square edge against a square edge), or taking the ring out and regluing it with a thin strip of veneer between the shell and the ring, so there's a tiny bit of leeway.

Any ideas?

FWIW, I was going to put a pic up here, but it seems tinypic is no more. What does everybody use on this forum for photo hosting?

egw

Reaction score
Bump. C'mon, nobody? Someone here's gotta have a nesting kit, or a Hipgig or something.

Or was it a stupid question to begin with.

egw

Reaction score
Hm, that's a good idea. I'll give that a shot before doing anything more drastic. Thanks very much.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It might also be good to route or sand in a "rounder over" on the leading edge of the ring so that way it guides in the other side. You are creating a slip fit more or less so it's going to be tight. You could always hand sand the exposed part of the ring to reduce the amount of friction between the two.

Reactions: egw

egw

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. For the time being, I've used some paste wax on the alignment ring (as davezedlee suggested above) and it seems a bit easier to get it in. I'm going to try it on a few gigs and see if it still annoys me to the point of having to take the next step, which will likely be rounding it over on the router. Thanks again!

Latest posts