Advice on new cymbals....starting over

yotr

Reaction score
I am getting back into playing again after selling my kit over a year ago (I won't do that again, lol). I am starting to research what kit I want but I am having issues with cymbals. I definitely want a multipurpose cymbal that will fit a wide range of music. I mainly play alternative/rock but also mellow stuff depending on the mood. I have had Paiste 2002, 2002 Black, Giant Beat, and Zildjian A cymbals in the past. I am leaning towards Zildjian A's again as that is the last set I had and they definitely could be used in a wide range of music styles. I am also looking at the K Light lineup. I definitely want a 24" ride again, 15"-16" hi hats, and 2 crashes. With the crashes, I typically had larger sizes so 20" or bigger. I actually used a 21" sweet ride as a crash in my last setup (with a 20" zildjian A crash, new beats and 24" zildjian A ride). I figure since I am starting over completely, I would get some input. Thank you in advance!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what input you're looking for, since it seems like you already know what you like and want.
The K light stuff is nice, but pricey. You may want to look at some of the Turkish made stuff that you can find used for cheaper. I tend toward Bosphorus and Istanbul Mehmet, but others here have had some good luck with Soultone cymbals from Amazon (they run rotating cheap sales on random models).

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
24” k light ride as a ride 22” and 20” oriental crash of doom as crashes. They are very awesome in any type. And the 24 is just amazing

varatrodder

Reaction score
Zildjian K lights are great. 24" ride, 19"-20" crashes, 15" hats.

I would also recommend checking out the Istanbul Xist series. The crashes and hats are on the lighter side, they sound REALLY good, and they are less expensive than Zildjian.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe try larger As, 24" medium ride or 23" Sweet ride? The latter also comes as K.

yotr

Reaction score
I'm not sure what input you're looking for, since it seems like you already know what you like and want.
The K light stuff is nice, but pricey. You may want to look at some of the Turkish made stuff that you can find used for cheaper. I tend toward Bosphorus and Istanbul Mehmet, but others here have had some good luck with Soultone cymbals from Amazon (they run rotating cheap sales on random models).

Ahh, I forgot about Bosphorus! I remember looking at some of their stuff awhile back. Thank you!

yotr

Reaction score
24” k light ride as a ride 22” and 20” oriental crash of doom as crashes. They are very awesome in any type. And the 24 is just amazing

I think I am definitely leaning towards the 24" K light even though I wish it was a tad cheaper. I will check out those crashes! Thank you!

yotr

Reaction score
Zildjian K lights are great. 24" ride, 19"-20" crashes, 15" hats.

I would also recommend checking out the Istanbul Xist series. The crashes and hats are on the lighter side, they sound REALLY good, and they are less expensive than Zildjian.

I will check those out. I admit I haven't looked into them before so it's always good to get new recommendations! Thank you!

yotr

Reaction score
Maybe try larger As, 24" medium ride or 23" Sweet ride? The latter also comes as K.

I actually had a 24" Zildjian A Medium ride in my last setup and loved it! That is one reason I am not ruling out the Zildjian A line as I was definitely happy with it. I wish Zildjian made bigger crashes but the 21" sweet ride (and I assume the 23" sweet ride also) did a great job. It really complimented the Zildjian A 20" crash that I also had. I have always come back to the K line when I start looking for cymbals though. I figured this time I would actually consider them. I admit the price has always pushed me away from the line but I am sure I could find some deals.

varatrodder

Reaction score
others here have had some good luck with Soultone cymbals from Amazon (they run rotating cheap sales on random models).
+1 on the Soultone Amazon deals. They always seem to have some bit crashes and crash/rides for cheap. Over Christmas I almost pulled the trigger on a 26" that was listed for $175.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
+1 on the Soultone Amazon deals. They always seem to have some bit crashes and crash/rides for cheap. Over Christmas I almost pulled the trigger on a 26" that was listed for $175.
I bought one of their 26” rides and it was pretty cool. Actually it was the best Soultone I’ve tried out of 5 or 6 different models. But too big for me so I sold it.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m absolutely no help when it comes to Zildjian cymbals, but I’ll throw in my 2 cents anyways... Paiste Signature Dark Energy!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am getting back into playing again after selling my kit over a year ago (I won't do that again, lol). I am starting to research what kit I want but I am having issues with cymbals. I definitely want a multipurpose cymbal that will fit a wide range of music. I mainly play alternative/rock but also mellow stuff depending on the mood. I have had Paiste 2002, 2002 Black, Giant Beat, and Zildjian A cymbals in the past. I am leaning towards Zildjian A's again as that is the last set I had and they definitely could be used in a wide range of music styles. I am also looking at the K Light lineup. I definitely want a 24" ride again, 15"-16" hi hats, and 2 crashes. With the crashes, I typically had larger sizes so 20" or bigger. I actually used a 21" sweet ride as a crash in my last setup (with a 20" zildjian A crash, new beats and 24" zildjian A ride). I figure since I am starting over completely, I would get some input. Thank you in advance!
- Almost anything can be used to play almost anything. There are lots of great-sounding cymbals out there. What's important is what you want to hear in the music you like - or are paid - to play.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd buy a used set of Paiste pst7s. Their value new is sky-high, and used would be even better. Word on (here and elsewhere) is that they are very respected, very close to the 2002s.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Don't know about the other stuff, but the 16" K Light hats are a thing of beauty. Something about the combination of their lightness and the size makes for a fantastic open sound, and lots of nuances and sound options on the large playing surface when closed. The 15"s will feel quicker and perhaps a bit more versatile, but the larger hats don't feel too sluggish in the first place thanks to their weights.

Good luck with your decision, enjoy the process and the results!

KarnaKarma

Reaction score
check out some lesser-known turkish cymbal brands. they sound amazing and wont break the bank. my personal favorite is Amedia Cymbals, specifically their Dervish and Ahmet line.. my Dervish 24" ride on the heavier side (3400g) is very dark but very pingy, perfect for rock but with that turkish complexity.

if you're going for Zildjian, seems like A Sweet Ride 23" is right up your alley, as well as their thin crashes. Zildjian 16" A Avedis Hihat is personally one of my favorite hihat, but it breaks the bank.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've yet to find a crash cymbal that is more pleasant to play than a Dark Energy crash. A few "as" pleasant. None "more".

Nubs

Reaction score
Ahh, I forgot about Bosphorus! I remember looking at some of their stuff awhile back. Thank you!
+1 on the Bosphorussesessseseses. I fell in love with their New Orleans line, but they have plenty of other models. Great cymbals for a reasonable price!

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
Try all the box sets. I think you can get some nice cymbals at a fair price. I got a Meinl box set and am very happy with them.