Advice on Orange Vintage Ludwig kit please

Black Label

Reaction score
Hi there - i can get a early 70's Ludwig kit in that John Densmore orange wrap, which I have always loved but they are very scarce here in South Africa. This is the first one that I have ever seen for sale here. The price tag is average (in the region of USD 680) but there are some condition issues. I also will have to buy blind and ship as the kit is about 1000 kilometers from where I live. The snare is heavily pitted, which I know is an issue with the Supras, but the damage to the wrap is more of a concern to me. Please have a look at the pics enclosed - especially the damage to the floor tom wrap worries me as it appears to maybe be water related. What do you guys think? The seller tells me that the shells show no water marks. Do you guys think that these blemishes could be indicative of some abuse? Would you buy the kit and if so, at what price.

Thanks guys and have a great day,

Regards
Erik

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
That wrap is SEVERELY faded, not really even close to what Mod Orange originally looked like. That indicates to me that they were never well cared for so I'd agree with JP and pass on them unless they were super cheap (and then I'd get them to rewrap). I imagine Mod Orange sets are extremely rare where you are but this set really doesn't represent that color any more.

Black Label

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks so much for the valued input. I hear you and I have to agree that it will be too risky, especially at that price. I appreciate your contribution. K.O., I also note with interest your comment about the fading - very true indeed.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just to expand a bit, with the amount of sunlight these must have been exposed to in order to fade the wrap to that degree I'd be concerned about the amount of heat they were also exposed to and, as a result, the shells suffering from some sort of dry rot could be a real possibility.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
At first glance I almost thought for a second that these were citrus mod. The fade is so severe that they almost looked yellow to me! Do you know the sizes and if the set has any extra holes or not? I'd be tempted to go after them if the price was right and I had a LOT more info about them.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Size of drums and condition always a huge factor in determining price. What wflkurt and KO said. Good luck.
Coy in Idaho

Latest posts